Thursday, June 7, 2012

Book Review: Interrupted: A Life Beyond Words by Rachel Coker

Summary:
Can love really heal all things? If Sam Carroll hadn't shown up, she might have been able to get to her mother in time. Instead, Allie Everly finds herself at a funeral, mourning the loss of her beloved mother. She is dealt another blow when, a few hours later, she is sent from Tennessee to Maine to become the daughter of Miss Beatrice Lovell, a prim woman with a faith Allie cannot accept. Poetry and letters written to her mother become the only things keeping Allie's heart from hardening completely. But then Sam arrives for the summer, and with him comes many confusing emotions, both toward him and the people around her. As World War II looms, Allie will be forced to decide whether hanging on to the past is worth losing her chance to be loved.


My Review:
Interrupted: A Life Beyond WordsBefore I get to the review, I have to compliment Rachel for getting published! This is such an accomplishment. I eagerly wait what else you'll publish.

Now for the review: Interrupted is set in the early nineteen-forties. Rachel did a fantastic job researching things in that time period from the ice-box to jukeboxes and gramophones. She also weaved the Second World War into the storyline to add the right amount of tension.

Our main character in this story is Alcyone (or as she likes to be called, Allie) Everly. The book begins with Allie at a mere age of thirteen and comes to a close when she is nineteen. Her mama is very sick and her memory comes and goes. This leaves Allie trying to help her remember and get better. Rachel throws in several sweet scenes with Allie and her mother and their neighbor Sam Carroll, but more about him later. Within a few chapters, we discover her mother suffers from a cancerous brain tumor and that she won't get better. I have lost a loved one to cancer when I was very young so I felt I could relate to Allie's many feelings when her mother passed away. After her mother's funeral, Allie was adopted by Beatrice Lovell. 

To my great pleasure, I now get to introduce you to Sam Carroll, who in my humble opinion is just awesome. He has his flaws but he has a good heart. He would follow Allie around, tease her, and make her laugh. He's quite endearing and it's quite clear he has a crush on Allie.

Allie was raised to believe (though she questions it) that Heaven doesn't exist and that Christians will "make you believe they care" when they really don't. This is where Beatrice truly shows Allie, through her actions, the love of God. I think Rachel handled Allie's "come-to-Jesus" moment and everything coming up to that point fairly well. It felt different to read about a character who didn't believe. A good kind of different.

This book had me wanting to know how events played out, if my questions would be answered, and so on. I wasn't disappointed. I felt like over the course of the book we really got see Allie grow into the young woman God wanted her to be.

Congratulations again, Rachel!

I received this book from the publisher in return for an honest review, which I have done. 

Interested? You can purchase the book here!

Check back tomorrow for an interview with the author, Rachel Coker! :-)

2 comments:

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.