Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Book Review: Submerged by Dani Pettrey

Summary:
Submerged (Alaskan Courage, #1)A sabotaged plane. Two dead deep-water divers.

Yancey, Alaska was a quiet town...until the truth of what was hidden in the depths off the coast began to appear.

Bailey Craig vowed never to set foot in Yancey again. She has a past, and a reputation--and Yancey's a small town. She's returned to bury a loved one killed in the plane crash and is determined not to stay even an hour more than necessary. But then dark evidence emerges and Bailey's own expertise becomes invaluable for the case.

Cole McKenna can handle the deep-sea dives and helping the police recover evidence. He can even handle the fact that a murderer has settled in his town and doesn't appear to be moving on. But dealing with the reality of Bailey's reappearance is a tougher challenge. She broke his heart, but she is not the same girl who left Yancey. He let her down, but he's not the same guy she left behind. Can they move beyond the hurts of their pasts and find a future together?


My Review:
I have to confess my love for the cover. The design team really did awesome on this one!

As for the pages within, I felt Ms. Pettrey did a wonderful job with her debut novel, Submerged. This book is right up my alley! It has all the things I love wrapped up inside (romance, suspense, mystery). From page one I was sucked into the adventure of Ms. Pettrey's creation.

The plot was deep and had many twists that kept me guessing! Ms. Pettrey also added an inspiring message of Jesus's love and forgiveness, which I loved. Something else I really loved about this book was the fact that there was a whole past we hadn't read about. A past we know nothing of, yet all the characters do. To me, that added an extra layer of mystery as I was left to piece things together.

The characters were very well presented and rounded. Especially Bailey. What wasn't there to like about her? She's flawed, she loves the Lord, and she has a common struggle I know I have- seeing yourself the way God sees you. That little flaw allowed me to relate to her on a level I don't with some characters.

Speaking of other characters, I really loved the McKenna family. And Landon. :-) Piper caught my heart instantly and Gage and Kayden weren't far behind.

There isn't much I have to say about the setting, except for the fact it really works well with the McKenna's job and the plot. Alaska is a beautiful place!

Interested? You can purchase the book here!

I received this book from the publisher in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done.

6 comments:

  1. I loved every character in this novel - save for the bad guys, of course. Piper was adorable; Kayden's difficulty in speaking of her troubles resonated with me and naturally, Bailey and Cole were sweet together.

    CANNOT wait for Piper and Landon's story, Shattered! Glad you liked it, Rosie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! It just seems too far away until Shattered is released.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review Submerged, Rosie. So glad you enjoyed it! Hope you'll love Shattered too :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Dani! Trust me, I'm anxiously counting the days until Shattered comes out. :D I'm sure it'll be just as awesome!

      Delete
  4. New follower here, I have seen this book around a lot lately and it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! It really is a great book. :-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.