Thursday, September 6, 2012

Book Review: The Blue Door by Christa Kinde

My Review:
The Blue DoorThis book was fascinating. I haven't read any fictional books about angels before, for personal reasons. While I understand the Bible doesn't say much about angels, I'm still sensitive with how far people take creative license. I think Kinde did well but there were some things I still was "iffy" on. 

Prissie Pomeroy is an ordinary fourteen year old in a large family. That is, until one day she sees someone no one else can. And this someone is an angel, an observer to be specific, and his name is Koji.

In this fictional world there are many different types of angels, something I heartily agree with. There are messengers, guardians, protectors, observers, caretakers, and so on. Not sure how accurate all these "titles" are, but Ms. Kinde made it seem very plausible. 

I didn't really like some aspects of Prissie. It seemed like she was acting and being treated like a child a few years younger than 14. I don't know, maybe all the fourteen year-olds I know are just more mature than she is. 

I also think Ms. Kinde missed out on a great opportunity to focus more on God than she did. It seemed me the focus was on the angels. Once again, this may just be my opinion. Other than what I mentioned I felt like the story was well written, and while I may not re-read this book I do look forward to reading it's sequel to see what happens next.

I give this book 3 stars. 

The Blue Door is set to release on Sept. 25th.

Back of the Book:
ZonderKidz launches an exciting supernatural series for kids 11 and up. The Blue Door, the first book in The Threshold Series, introduces Prissie Pomeroy, a teen who discovers she can see what others cannot: angels all around. Even more startling is the surprising secret she uncovers about people she thought she knew. As she wrestles with this unexpected ability she must come to grips with the spiritual battles surrounding her. Especially when she learns she received this gift because God has a unique role for her in his bigger plan. But if she's to fulfill it, she'll need faith like never before.This exciting debut by author Christa Kinde draws on the rapidly growing interest in angel stories, an emerging trend in teen and preteen supernatural novels. Boys and girls alike will appreciate her gifted storytelling that captures their imagination with things beyond human sight. And parents will appreciate the family-friendly tone and godly messages maintained throughout this intriguing tale of adventure and spiritual warfare.

I received this ARC from Zondervan's Good Teen Reads in return for an honest review of my opinions.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I would probably be skeptical of this one also, Rosie. Thanks for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, to say the least, this book has made me think more about angels and it's opened up some questions that I've been asking God.

      No problem!

      Delete
  2. I totally get how you are not really into reading books about angels. I personally think that angels are dangerous territory for novels, just because in the angel books I have read I felt they were treated like magical beings instead of supernatural beings who's main purpose is to serve God. So I too am skeptical of angel books. Thank you so much Rosie for your great review, I think you did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faye!! Glad to know I'm not the only one.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.