Thursday, October 4, 2012

Book Review: With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin


With Every Letter (Wings of the Nightingale, #1)
My Review:
An emotional, wonderful, touching, and amazing read!

I love books that transport me to the past with their imagery and realistic portrayal of the time period. Miss Sundin does just that. She takes us to many places in With Every Letter including Casablanca, North Africa, and even Italy.

In this sweet romance tale, Mellie and Tom anonymously correspond with one another. The anonymity twist was interesting, and particularly useful to the characters. I just loved the encouragement and advice the two gave each other, despite their own troubles.

Miss Sundin did a magnificent job bringing the book to a close. It wasn't too hasty and it wasn't too slow. I adored Mellie's growth from the beginning of the book to the end. She struggled, like most young women do, but she also sought God when she needed help or answers. I never tire of Godly heroines. :-) Overall, I really, really, liked this book.

People who have seen You've Got Mail featuring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks will like this book as well as anyone who likes historical fiction.
 
Back of the Book (From Amazon):
Lt. Mellie Blake is a nurse serving in the 802nd Medical Squadron, Air Evacuation, Transport. As part of a morale building program, she reluctantly enters into an anonymous correspondence with Lt. Tom MacGilliver, an officer in the 908th Engineer Aviation Battalion in North Africa. As their letters crisscross the Atlantic, Tom and Mellie develop a unique friendship despite not knowing the other's true identity. When both are transferred to Algeria, the two are poised to meet face to face for the first time. Will they overcome their fears and reveal who they are, or will their future be held hostage to their past? And can they learn to trust God and embrace the gift of love he offers them?

Interested? You can purchase your copy here!

I won this book in a giveaway, no review required.

13 comments:

  1. Rosie - thank you so much for the lovely review! I'm glad you enjoyed Tom & Mellie's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!! I love forward to reading your first series and the books to come!

      Delete
  2. I had opportunity to review this novel but chose not too. Perhaps sometime I will. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's currently ranked at the top of my favorites. :)

      Delete
  3. did you win this in the GoTeenWriter's giveaway? Lovely review! You're much better at it then me. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't. I won it over at Bookfun(dot)org :)

      Aw, thanks! I improve with every review I write, so I'm sure you will too. :D

      Delete
  4. Haha. Thanks! So who all do you review for? I saw that you review for other companies. I review for Bethany House, Multnomah, and Tyndale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I review for Bethany House, Revell, and Zondervan. :) And with just the three I'm busy. hehe.

      Delete
  5. Me. Too. :D I want to review for Zondervan... Did you sign up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link to what I'm signed up with. http://zstreetteam.zondervan.com/

      ;) Fill it out and "like" their Good Teen Reads page on FB. Then you should be set! They send out about a book a month.

      Delete
  6. The form won't work for some strange reason, so I'll try later. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Hope it works for you!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.