Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Placebo by Steven James (Revell Blog Tour)

Back Cover (from Revell):
One man must uncover the truth-even when others will stop at nothing to keep it buried.

While investigating a controversial neurological research program, exposé filmmaker Jevin Banks is drawn into a far-reaching conspiracy involving one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical firms. He seeks answers about the questionable mind-to-mind communication program-and answers to his own family tragedy.

Rooted in groundbreaking science, Placebo explores the far reaches of science, consciousness, and faith. This taut, intelligent, and emotionally gripping new thriller from master storyteller Steven James will keep you flipping pages late into the night.

My Review:
This is a roller-coaster ride that will keep you gripping the sides of the book!

Wow. Placebo is amazing. I cannot fathom the depth of research Steven James put into this novel, but let me tell you, it was all worth it. All the medical and psychology terms and knowledge bring this story to life in such a way I haven’t seen.

This is the first novel written by Mr. James that I have read. All bundled into it is gritty suspense, well rounded characters, psychopaths, a mystery, and a single idea: your thoughts can impact someone else. Mr. James presents this thought in a way that makes it almost seem plausible! In some cases it was actually really creepy.

Jevin, whose head we are in for the most part of the book, has just lost his wife and two sons. Their deaths appear to be because Jevin’s wife committed suicide by running their minivan into the water. It is truly heartbreaking to read, which is why I’m glad Mr. James provides him with great, supporting, friends. Jevin is also a “magician” or “illusionist”, he used to perform shows in large cities and after the deaths of his family he acquired a television show about debunking the evangelical fakes and psychics on TV.

There are three who have been working with Jevin for quite some time, by the sound of it. You have Charlene, the one who is usually on stage with Jevin, Xavier, the conspirator-slash-special effects manager, and Fionna, the one who does all the research. Together, the four of them make a fabulous team.

A small disclaimer though, I would recommend this book to mature teen readers only. There is some content that might be considered questionable for younger teens. There are also at most two “bad” words. Other than that, I found this book an excellent thrilling read.

Available November 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Special thanks to Donna for this review copy! I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I've been kinda wary to read any of this authors books since I tend to lean away from the spooky but I'm glad you liked it! It's always cool when you can tell that the author did their research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, there was quite a bit that I categorized as "creepy" so I completely understand. :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm... again, I've not heard of this one.

    Wising you a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, Rosie! Hope you have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.