Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow by Olivia Newport {Revell Blog Tour!}

Back Cover (from Goodreads):
Charlotte Farrow, maid in the wealthy Banning household on Chicago's opulent Prairie Avenue, has kept her baby boy a secret from her employers for nearly a year. But when the woman who has been caring for her son abruptly returns him, Charlotte must decide whether to come clean and face dismissal or keep her secret while the Bannings decide the child's fate. Can she face the truth of her own past and open her heart to a future of her own? Or will life's tragedies determine the future for her?

This compelling story set against the glittering backdrop of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition captures the tension between the wealthy class and the hardworking servants who made their lives comfortable. Author Olivia Newport expertly portays social classes while creating a story of courage, strength, and tender romance.

The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow (Avenue of Dreams, #2)

My Review:
This is a book you won't want to put down!

I blew through this in a day. It was so easy to read and slip back into the setting from The Pursuit of Lucy Banning. I have been waiting for The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow for a long time and I am pleased to report my expectations were reached! A very good friend of mine compared it to Downton Abbey, and I have to agree. It really held that separation of social classes that we're so familiar with in Downton.

I think my favorite character was Charlotte. (No surprise there!) I really liked Charlotte in the first book and was simply ecstatic to find out the next book in the series would be about her. Charlotte is such a sweet person, and she's a great mother to her son Henry, who stays with a woman while Charlotte works for the Bannings.

Another thing I liked is that we really get to know Archie, my second favorite character, in this novel. He is head over heels in love with Charlotte though she puts him off at every turn. I loved his persistence. There were quite a few times I thought, "Okay, this is it. He'll be done with her now." But I was wrong. 

There were one or two things I didn't like, very minor things. For one, it felt like a character had a too sudden change of heart. The other thing I didn't like, as a writer not a reader, was a moment in the book where it felt like Miss Newport gave Charlotte an easy-out. That's just a personal opinion. But aside from that, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

Available January 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, thanks!

About Olivia:
Olivia Newport is the author of The Pursuit of Lucy Banning. Her novels twist through time to discover where faith and passions meet. Her husband and two adult children provide welcome distraction from the people stomping through her head on their way into her books. She chases joy in stunning Colorado at the foot of the Rockies, where daylilies grow as tall as she is.

10 comments:

  1. ^^Liked this book! I need to get my review posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Yes, you do! I'd love to read your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I felt like the author gave Charlotte an almost too easy solution at one point in the novel.

      Now I'm off to add that to the post... hehe :-) Thanks, Uncle Dan!

      Delete
  3. I have wanted to read both of these books for awhile now! They look really good and if you liked them this much I'm sure I will too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this one! Moreso, I think, than the first. :D I hope you can get your hands on it soon!

      Delete
  4. Rosie, this was lovely - I'd been curious about your thoughts. So happy to know you liked it, girl. :)

    (And THANK YOU bunches for sharing my review - going to add yours too.:D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      You are very, very welcome! And thank you! ;D

      Delete
  5. http://apassionatafortheking.blogspot.com/2013/01/ive-been-nominated.html

    Rosie, you've been nominated for the Liebster Award! Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leah!! :D I'll work to get my post up next week, kay?

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.