Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Rebekah by Jill Eileen Smith (Revell Blog Tour)

Back Cover (from Revell):
Can love heal the rift between two souls?

When her beloved father dies and she is left in the care of her conniving brother Laban, Rebekah knows her life has changed forever. Though she should be married by now, it’s clear that Laban is dragging his feet, waiting for a higher bride-price to line his pockets. But then Rebekah is given a chance to leave her home to marry Isaac, a cousin she has never even seen, and her hope for the future is restored. Little does she know what a wondrous and heart-wrenching journey she is beginning.

As Rebekah experiences the joy of young love and the bitterness of misunderstanding and betrayal, her resolve is tested. When the rift between Isaac and her grows so wide it is surely too great to be mended, can she trust the God of Isaac’s father Abraham to bridge the gap?
Join bestselling author Jill Eileen Smith as she fills in the blanks around the life of the enigmatic Rebekah.

My Review:
Jill Eileen Smith returns with the Biblical tale of Isaac and Rebekah. :-)

Rebekah (Wives of the Patriarchs, # 2)I was first entranced by Miss Smith's writing with the first book in this series, Sarai. If I liked Sarai then I loved Rebekah. I read pretty much the whole book in one day. For me, Rebekah totally surpassed Sarai. Sticking close to what is in the Biblical account; Miss Smith leads us through Isaac and Rebekah's early marriage all the way to the infamous impersonation of Esau by Jacob.

Rebekah came right off the page! I connected with her in a way I didn't expect to and thus had a really hard time setting the book down. The writing flowed, the characters felt real, and the ending already makes me excited for Rachel!

I never felt like I understood Isaac until I read this. He went through a tragic yet amazing event as a child and I never thought about how almost being sacrificed would affect him. He was a great husband and father… Well, at least to Esau.

In sum, if you like Biblical fiction you'll love this one! I also highly suggest you read the chapters in Genesis either before or after reading Rebekah. You'll be amazed and how well Miss Smith stuck to the Biblical account. ;-)

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, thanks!

Available February 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.
 
Jill Eileen Smith
 © Amanda Matilla Photography
About Jill: 
Jill Eileen Smith is the author of the bestselling Michal, Abigail, and Bathsheba, all part of The Wives of King David series, and of Sarai, book 1 in the Wives of the Patriarchs series. Her writing has garnered acclaim in several contests. Her research into the lives of biblical women has taken her from the Bible to Israel, and she particularly enjoys learning how women lived in Old Testament times. Jill lives with her family in southeast Michigan.





Join Jill Tuesday, February 19th, from 7-8pm EST for an interactive video chat book tour! Click on the picture to RSVP!

Photo: Revell made this cool poster to go with the event next Tuesday! I did a test run with Shindig and it looks good. I hope to see you there. RSVP if you want to be reminded!
http://shindig.com/event/jilleileensmith

6 comments:

  1. This looks like a pretty neat book you've read! We read the chapters of Issac and Rebekah not too long ago too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it! :) Definitely one worth checking out if you like Biblical Fic.

      Delete
  2. I did like this book so much! Definitely worth reading...lots. You're right about Rebekah coming back to life...and Isaac too. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! :D

      By the way, I enjoyed your interview post with Jill! ;)

      Delete
  3. For some reason, I've never been a big fan of Biblical fiction. It's wonderful to read that the author stuck with the true account of this story though - that is always a wonderful tribute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, however, there are a few select authors I will read because of their accuracy. Jill I am glad to say is one of them. :-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.