Saturday, June 29, 2013

Claudia, Wife of Pontius Pilate by Diana Wallis Taylor {Revell Blog Tour!}

Claudia, Wife of Pontius PilateMy Review: 
Several months ago, I reviewed Taylor's release Martha. I did not enjoy it as much as I expected to but I opted to give Taylor's latest, Claudia, Wife of Pontius Pilate, a fair shot.

I applaud Taylor for taking on such a difficult subject. As she mentions in her Author's Note, Claudia is only mentioned once possibly twice. Taylor's historical research shines through and she stayed close to the Gospel's account in most places. However, some of the creative licenses she took turned me off to the story. I won't go into it.

Judea, in the disciples' day, I think was represented well. It was neat to visualize what it was like and to form a mental image. I also thought it was neat to see what Jesus's ministry would have looked like to an outsider. That isn't a view I get to read often, and I an impressed at how real Taylor wrote it.

In truth, I felt like the book ran much longer than it should have. The last chapters were a drag with no clear direction as to where we were going. I really wanted to like this book, but it simply wasn't for me.

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Available June 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Back Cover:
Claudia's life did not start easily.

The illegitimate daughter of Julia, reviled and exiled daughter of Caesar Augustus, Claudia spends her childhood in a guarded villa with her mother and grandmother. When Tiberius, who hates Julia, takes the throne, Claudia is wrenched away from her mother to be brought up in the palace in Rome. The young woman is adrift-until she meets Lucius Pontius Pilate and becomes his wife. When Pilate is appointed Prefect of the troublesome territory of Judea, Claudia does what she has always done: she makes the best of it. But unrest is brewing on the outskirts of the Roman Empire, and Claudia will soon find herself and her beloved husband embroiled in controversy and rebellion. Might she find peace and rest in the teaching of the mysterious Jewish Rabbi everyone seems to be talking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.