Friday, November 29, 2013

Dear, Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay {Litfuse Blog Tour!}

17657649My Review:
A charming, delightful, debut from Reay!

I blazed through this novel in between Thanksgiving festivities. Even when I had to, I found it hard to put it down! I found Sam funny, lovable, and realistic. The three hundred some pages I spent with her were wonderful; my only complaint being that I wish the story went on longer. Nonetheless, Sam's story is one that will stick with me for a while.

Sam Moore has had a rough go of life. Watching her grow and change throughout the book is incredible. I'll probably reread it in the near future for sure, but back to Sam. Her voice comes through so strongly and while she can really appear dense at times, behind the many novels, there is an intelligent woman. All in all, Ms. Reay has written a heroine who is a new and definite favorite.

With multiple references to Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, and other classic works it's hard not to love this novel. Combine that with Sam's amusing character and Reay's fascinating writing style and you get a wonderful, wonderful, read. This book is going on my keeper shelf. I highly recommend this book to fans of Austen. As a quick, minor note, Sam is not a Christian for most of the book. She does not engage in any questionable activity that we're told of; however her boyfriend presses her to sleep with him and she refuses.

I received this book from Litfuse in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!!

Back Cover:
Dear Mr. Knightley is a contemporary epistolary novel with a delightful dash of Jane Austen.

Samantha Moore survived years of darkness in the foster care system by hiding behind her favorite characters in literature, even adopting their very words. Her fictional friends give her an identity, albeit a borrowed one. But most importantly, they protect her from revealing her true self and encountering more pain.

After college, Samantha receives an extraordinary opportunity. The anonymous “Mr. Knightley” offers her a full scholarship to earn her graduate degree at the prestigious Medill School of Journalism. The sole condition is that Sam write to Mr. Knightley regularly to keep him apprised of her progress.

As Sam’s true identity begins to reveal itself through her letters, her heart begins to soften to those around her—a damaged teenager and fellow inhabitant of Grace House, her classmates at Medill, and, most powerfully, successful novelist Alex Powell. But just as Sam finally begins to trust, she learns that Alex has secrets of his own—secrets that, for better or for worse, make it impossible for Sam to hide behind either her characters or her letters.
 

Debut author Katherine Reay is celebrating the release of her delightful novel, Dear Mr. Knightley, with a Kindle Fire HDX giveaway, a fun Favorite Austen Moments Pinterest contest, and an Austen-themed Facebook Party.
dearmrknightley-400

  One winner will receive:
  • A Kindle Fire HDX
  • Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay
  • Handmade Austen-themed items (scarf, mug, bracelet, and necklace) 
Two ways to win! Enter today by clicking one of the icons below or participating in the Pinterest contest (see banner below)—or BOTH! 

But hurry, the giveaway ends on December 3rd. Winner will be announced at the "Dear Mr. Knightley" Austen-themed Facebook Author Chat Party on the 3rd. Join Katherine (and Austen fans) for an evening of book chat, prizes, and an exclusive look at Katherine's next book.

So grab your copy of  Dear Mr. Knightley and join Katherine on the evening of December 3rd for a chance to connect and make some new friends. (If you haven't read the book, don't let that stop you from coming!)

Don't miss a moment of the fun; RSVP today by clicking JOIN at the event page. Spread the word—tell your friends about the giveaway and party via FACEBOOK, TWITTER, or PINTEREST. Hope to see you on the 3rd!


13 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved Dear Mr. Knightley, too. It's definitely one of the best books I've read this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh, yes I heartily agree. Lovely story for sure. :)

      Delete
  2. Good review! I definitely want to read this book in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope that when you do read it you'll enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Oh my. I have been dying to read this book. Nice review, Rosie!

    I am really enjoying your blog. It makes me want to take a hop over to the Christian book store and spend way too much money. It's been a while since we talked (If you remember me, you're miraculous), :D but I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie!! Well, I must be a miracle because I remember you! In fact, just the other day you came to mind because of NaNo. I'm doing great, I hope you are too! :)

      Delete
    2. Ah, well... I believe in miracles. :) Yes, I was thinking of you during NaNo, too. I hope it went fabulously for you!

      Delete
    3. :D Oh, it did! I won early for the first time this year. Such a relief. But now I have to finish it. (50k/85k) At least, 85k would be my goal word count. Did you participate this year?

      Delete
    4. Awesome!! I'm so happy for you! I actually did participate this year, but couldn't finish due to health struggles and publishing deadlines for my other book. But I do plan to keep writing.

      Delete
  4. LOVED this novel. So pleased it was one of your favorites also, Rosie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I finally went back and read your review. Loving a book is so much more fun when you have friends who enjoy it too. :D

      Delete
  5. Rosie, Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I'm thrilled you enjoyed Sam and her story... And I must confess, I found her "dense" at times too. :) Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome!! Thank YOU for writing such a marvelous story! :) I can't wait to see what you'll have releasing next. ;D

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.