Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Thankful Heart

I know what you're thinking. Thanksgiving was last month! I realize that, however, being thankful should not be limited to one month or one day of the year. It should be an every day practice.

This time of year is frustrating for me. The push to buy, buy, buy gets old fast and it seems to double in intensity every year. I can't walk into a store or turn on the TV without being bombarded by it. This year especially I see parents sharing their woes on Facebook, because their kids don't need anything yet they feel an obligation to get something. Why have we let materialism take over a holiday intended to celebrate Jesus's birth? How does Jesus's birth equate to buying gifts for others in the first place?

Being thankful is becoming a lost habit in our culture. This should be a time spent with family, thankful to just be with one another. It's about fellowship, putting down the electronics, eating amazing fattening foods, and playing games. It's a time not about giving or getting, but treasuring the moment and loving those around you.

I'm thankful for living near my cousins and grandparents. I'm thankful for my family in general. I'm thankful for my friends both online and in person. I'm thankful to be breathing, to be healthy. I'm thankful to be free. I'm thankful for my sweet dog, Joy. Most of all, I'm grateful that God sent His Son for me and for you.

It's hard to believe another year has gone by. As we prepare to welcome 2014, I pray that this new year will be filled with joy and blessings for you all.

What are you thankful for? 

1 comment:

  1. "Eating amazing fattening foods"... I'm with ya there, lol :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.