Saturday, February 22, 2014

It Had to be You by Susan May Warren {Tyndale Blog Tour!}

18232501My Review:
Another sweet, endearing story from Warren!

In this Christansen family novel, we watch Eden grow and figure out where God wants her to be. I really liked the little bit of Eden we saw in Take a Chance on Me, and I was so excited to read her story. I don't know what I expected, but I wasn't let down in the least. I can't say it quite topped Darek and Ivy's and Jensen and Claire's story though.

Eden is a cheerleader. Not literally, of course. She's the mother hen who doesn't want to see her chick, or her little brother, fail or get hurt. I admired this aspect of her character. It's a big sister trait, I think. But just like any older sibling, they all must learn to let their little sibling stand on their own two feet. It is no easy lesson.

At first I really disliked Jace, but then he grew on me, and it was too hard not to like him. Except when he had a momentary lapse of judgement and I wanted to slap him... Ahem. Anyway, I loved watching him come into his own, watching him mature. All main characters grow in a book whether or not it is obvious. In the same way, I feel like Jace was a classic case of someone misunderstood, thanks to the media. To me, it's simply the truth that you can't judge someone by their cover.

All in all, I totally enjoyed reading about Eden and Jace. I can't wait to see which Christansen is up next! I recommend this book to fans new and old of Warren's work ages sixteen and up. This book is geared more for women than teenage girls so keep that in mind. :-)

I received this book from Tyndale in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Back Cover:
Eden Christiansen never imagined her role as her younger brother Owen's cheerleader would keep her on the sidelines of her own life. Sure, it feels good to be needed, but looking after the reckless NHL rookie leaves little time for Eden to focus on her own career. She dreamed of making a name for herself as a reporter, but is stuck writing obits--and starting to fear she doesn't have the chops to land a major story. If only someone would step up to mentor Owen . . . but she knows better than to expect help from team veteran and bad-boy enforcer Jace Jacobsen.Jace has built his career on the infamous reputation of his aggressive behavior--on and off the ice. Now at a crossroads about his future in hockey, that reputation has him trapped. And the guilt-trip he's getting from Eden Christiansen isn't making things any easier. But when Owen's carelessness leads to a career-threatening injury and Eden stumbles upon a story that could be her big break, she and Jace are thrown together . . . and begin to wonder if they belong on the same team after all.


About the Author:
Susan May Warren is the RITA award-winning novelist of over thirty novels. A five-time Christy award finalist, a two-time RITA Finalist, she’s also a multi-winner of the Inspirational Readers Choice award, and the ACFW Carol Award.

A seasoned women’s events speaker, she’s a popular writing teacher at conferences around the nation and the author of the beginning writer’s workbook: From the Inside-Out: discover, create and publish the novel in you!.

She is also the founder of www.MyBookTherapy.com, a story-crafting service that helps authors discover their voice. You can find her online atwww.susanmaywarren.com.

You can read a Q&A with the author HERE!

2 comments:

  1. Great review Rosie! I loved this one too! The next book is going to be about Grace and Max Sharpe (from Jace's hockey team) and I can't wait!! It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abbi!! Yay! I'm so excited. :D

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.