Monday, March 10, 2014

{Book Review:} The Language of Souls by Lena Goldfinch

15848469My Review:
A fantastic release from Goldfinch!

I was immediately intrigued by this novella the moment I read the back cover copy. It only took three pages for me to be sucked into Goldfinch's bright, intricate, fantasy world. I was surprised and impressed at the depth Goldfinch was able to offer, given the limited length. There was just enough description to make things real without overdoing it.

Solena and Rundan are great characters, but I felt the romance between them was unrealistically fast. I understand the circumstances surrounding it but it still felt a tad rushed.  Just my opinion. As far as their personalities and culture go, they seemed realistic given the world they live in. I wish the story could have been longer so Goldfinch could have gone into more detail about their religion. Goodness, I wish the story could have been longer, period.

If you are looking for a sweet, quick, feel-good read you'll find it in The Language of the Souls. I recommend this novella to young adult readers. For things to know, you ought to be aware that Solena and Rundan sleep beside each other for body heat but nothing happens.

I received an ebook copy of this novella from Amber Stokes in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Back Cover:
A fast-paced tale of adventure, impossible choices, and a soul-stirring romance that will leave you breathless.

Solena trespasses into hostile territory to search for a rare herb to cure the grandfather she loves. When a young enemy soldier captures her and she's accused of being a spy, she discovers just how much she’s risked.

As a soldier, Rundan struggles to please his father, a ruthless army commander. When his father orders him to take the beautiful trespasser to the royal courts, where she’ll surely be tried and executed, Rundan is plagued by an inconvenient desire to protect her.

The handsome young soldier confuses Solena. First, he cruelly captures her, and then treats her with uncommon kindness. When he risks his life to save hers, she fears she may have risked more than her life on her journey…she may have lost her heart.

Learn more on Goodreads and the author's website.

About the Author:
LENA GOLDFINCH writes fantasy and romance for teens and adults. She's a sucker for a good old-fashioned romance, whether it's a novel, novella, or short story, young adult or adult, fantasy or realistic, contemporary or historical. Elements of romance, fantasy, and mystery have a way of creeping into her writing, even when she's writing something light and contemporary. Her latest release is TAKE A PICTURE, a lighthearted contemporary romance for teens and new adults, which includes a bonus short story, CHAIN REACTION, a prequel to HAUNTING JOY. You can learn more about Lena and her books on her website.

Interested? You can purchase The Language of Souls at any of the following places:
One last thing! Lena's got some sweet treats for a couple of readers! One winner (U.S. & Canada only) will receive a paperback copy of one of Lena's books (winner's choice) plus some candy, and the other winner (can be international) will receive an e-book copy of Lena's latest release, Take a Picture. Both winners will be announced on Saturday, March 15th. You can enter via the Rafflecopter form below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway

8 comments:

  1. This was the story that got me hooked on Lena's writing - & subsequently led to me becoming a beta reader and (eventually) editor for her, and then her becoming my cover designer. :) So glad you enjoyed it, too, Rosie! Thank you for participating in the tour!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's neat, Amber!! :-) You are very welcome.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Rosie! So nice to have you on my blog tour! I appreciate your "sweet" review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lena!! I'm so very happy to help. :)

      Delete
  3. Great review Rosie, Always good to hear about a wonderful book to read. I like Lena Goldfinch's writing style. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the one book by Lena I own so clearly, I now need to "join" the team of readers. ;) Thanks for reminding me, Rosie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it, Rissi!! Looking forward to your thoughts. ;D

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.