Monday, April 7, 2014

{Book Review:} Love Comes Calling by Siri Mitchell

18008073My Review:
A charming novel set in the Roaring Twenties!

I was swept back in time to the interesting era known as the Roaring Twenties in Mitchell's new book, Love Comes Calling. I loved seeing the events and culture filtered through Ellis. I personally think Mitchell did a fantastic job capturing the feel of the times as well as portraying characters that mold to their surroundings. Places, characters, they all jumped off the page and played out like a movie in my imagination.

Ellis is easily distracted. This annoyed me at first but as I pushed further into the story I accepted that this was Ellis's personal quirk. I had no idea until I read the author's note at the end what was behind it. But all quirks aside, Ellis believes so many lies about herself. I ached for her over and over, especially after encounters with her family. I think she's a great example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. She believed she couldn't do anything right and thus she never could. You have to have confidence in yourself.

This is my first read from Mitchell and it definitely won't be the last! I'm very impressed with Mitchell's writing style and I loved meeting her characters. I have another of her books on my shelf, waiting to be read. I think I'll double my efforts to get to it soon. ;-) I recommend this book to readers fifteen and older. As far as content to know about, this is a book set in the Roaring Twenties and both drinking and smoking is mentioned consistently. There is also mention of an indiscretion before marriage.

I received an ebook copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks! 

Back Cover:
A girl with the best of intentions.
A heart set on Hollywood.
An empty pocketbook.


That's all it takes for Ellis Eton to find herself working as a telephone operator for a look-alike friend. For Ellis, this job will provide not only acting practice but the funds to get her a start in the movies. She's tired of always being a disappointment to her traditional Boston family, and though she can't deny the way he makes her head spin, she knows she's not good enough for Griffin Phillips, either. It's simple: avoid Griff's attentions, work, and get paid. But in typical Ellis fashion, her simple plan spirals out of control when she overhears a menacing phone call...with her very own Griff as the target.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't much care for Siri's novel from last year (which was my first by her) however since this is a favorite era and I've been encouraged to try more by her, I'm hoping to enjoy this one. Glad to read this one has another fan, Rosie - it's been getting great reviews! Yay for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember that. I hope you like this one! :-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.