Sunday, May 17, 2015

Standing at a Crossroad {Asking for Help}

Have you ever stood at a crossroad?

Okay, okay, so maybe not a literal crossroad, but a metaphorical crossroad? Where, in that time, you just sort of stand there glancing back and forth between the paths? In this moment, God feels silent. The barrage of thoughts and the anxiety of making the right choice plugs your ears. Even if God was speaking, you wouldn't be able to tell.

Breathe in, breathe out.

Will one path close if you don't move now? What if both doors close? Fear of making a mistake keeps your feet planted. You just can't move. What's the right choice? You know you're over-thinking this but you can't help it. 

Breathe in, breathe out.

Peace is elusive. Which way? Do you take the riskier, more complicated, path? Or the safer, simple way? Are there merits to one path over the other? You know which one you prefer... and you're scared that God might call you toward the other. So what do you do? 

Ask for help.

Who says you have to make this decision alone? Asking for help will lighten the burden. It doesn't make you weak, it shows that you are brave. It shows that you know your own weaknesses and rather than risk a massive failure, you're seeking multiple opinions. I'd personally recommend asking help from someone you trust, who is old enough to be your parent. 

It wasn't too long ago that I found myself with a crossroad before me. But crying out and asking for help reassured my anxious spirit, because I knew I didn't have to make my choice alone. Breathe in, breathe out. Go talk to someone and keep on breathing. Big decisions should not be made lightly or hastily. 

2 comments:

  1. This is good advice ,Rosie. I don't know where I would be today if it wasn't for the help of older more experienced people. It's good to know we don't have to face a big scary world all on our own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good advice ,Rosie. I don't know where I would be today if it wasn't for the help of older more experienced people. It's good to know we don't have to face a big scary world all on our own!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.