Sunday, February 15, 2015

Dear Taylor Swift...

1989
Dear Taylor Swift,

I had the interesting opportunity the other day to see the music video for your song "Blank Space". First off, let me say I liked the cinematography and the way the video told the story you sing about. Well done on that count. But I must be honest and say I felt a measure of sadness as the beat faded away.

I am so sorry that your heart has been broken so many times that you have given up on true love. My heart hurts listening to the pain in your songs. Oh, Taylor, I’m sorry the world finally got to you. They come when you least expect it and crush your hopes. A few years ago, I loved your wistful songs about finding love and cherishing it. Then, like we all do from time to time, you made a couple mistakes in the men you chose to date. They killed your hopeful fantasy of happily ever after and taught you that men are only interested in “the game” of love. But this "love" you've experienced is nothing like the real thing. It is a cheap imitation Hollywood and the music scene has created.

Love is such a gift, given to us by the One who is love. Love is supposed to encourage us, inspire us to be better people. It is meant to be treasured and cherished. Not all men are players. Not all men are interested in “playing the game”. Not all men are like the ones you have encountered. Good men do exist out there.

Blank Space

Taylor, I just want you to know that you don’t have to play the game. You don’t have to build a concrete wall around your heart. You don’t have to let players use you. You are a strong individual. You are the role model girls have looked up to ever since “Teardrops on my Guitar”. You can overcome the heartache you’ve experienced and show girls a better way.

I don’t know if you’ll ever read this. Goodness knows you are a very busy woman. Nevertheless I felt the need to write you this little letter. I don’t know if this helps. Or if it even makes sense. I’ll close with this last thought for you to, hopefully, remember. You have such value. You don’t have to toss your heart around until it is worn and in tatters. You don’t have to waste time on the men who don’t see that value in you. There’s a guy out there who will treasure you and value you like you deserve but it will be harder to find him on this path. Blessings, Taylor, on your upcoming tour.

A fan,
-Rosie

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Thank you for taking the time to see the hidden hurt behind her words. My heart aches for her too, as well as every girl that searches for love so desperately in places that will never fulfill. Only in the One who created love can love be truly found.

    Have a lovely day!
    ~Jess - (Almost) Perfectly Pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment, Jess! Indeed and amen!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed reading this again. Many other than Taylor Swift need this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, but I hope that you realize Taylor wrote this song as a "joke" or parody of the life critics and paparazzi believe she leads. She was not portraying her real life or feelings. I clearly noticed it through the video, and she herself has said this as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.