Friday, July 26, 2013

{Book Review} Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Redeeming LoveMy Review:
Compelling, heart wrenching, and absolutely amazing!

Several blogging friends of mine had given this book four to five stars- certainly a high enough rating to pique my interest.  So when I given an opportunity to review it, I took the chance. After all, I thought, Francine Rivers is supposed to be a really great author right? No kidding! She's amazing. Her style, her research, the heart of the story, it's all beautiful.

Redeeming Love is, in a way, an 1850s retelling of Hosea and Gomer's love story with Rivers' own spin to it. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. My heart ached for Michael and at the same time I admired his strength and faith. One thing that began to get on my nerves after a while was all the names he called Angel: Amanda, Tirzah, Mara, Beloved, and when he was frustrated, Angel. Though it wasn't a big deal in the long run.

Rivers wrote Angel's character with perfection. Rivers presented her excellently, holding nothing back. There was never a moment that the word "unrealistic" came to mind. Angel's struggles were raw, real, and tangible. There's more I could say, but I do not want to spoil anything, so I'll close with this: Redeeming Love is a story of unconditional love, of heart break, and of redemption when it seems impossible. I highly recommend this book to mature readers.

I received this book from Waterbrook/Multomah through their review program, Blogging for Books, in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Back Cover:
California's gold country, 1850. A time when men sold their souls for a bag of gold and women sold their bodies for a place to sleep.

Angel expects nothing from men but betrayal. Sold into prostitution as a child she survives by keeping her hatred alive. And what she hates most are the men who use her, leaving her empty and dead inside.

Then she meets Michael Hosea. A man who seeks his Father's heart in everything, Michael obeys God's call to marry Angel and to love her unconditionally. Slowly, day by day, he defies Angel's every bitter expectation, until despite her resistance, her frozen heart begins to thaw.

But with her unexpected softening come overwhelming feelings of unworthiness and fear. And so Angel runs. Back to the darkness, away from her husband's pursuing love, terrified of the truth she no longer can deny: Her final healing must come from the One who loves her even more than Michael does ... the One who will never let her go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.