Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Small Town Girl by Ann H. Gabhart {Revell Blog Tour!}

Small Town GirlMy Review:
What an adorable story!

If anything is true, it's this: you can't judge an author by one book. In my case, I did not like Gabhart's Words Spoken True but I loved Small Town Girl. The WW2 setting, the sweet characters, and endearing love story all come together for a fantastic read. I loved how some of the character's accents popped off the page; it rounds the characters in a great way for me.

Kate is a great heroine. I haven't read Angel Sister, but it is very apparent what a great big sister she is, not to mention the deep affection she has for her little sister, Lorena. I was really proud of how Kate handled herself in some of the awkward situations she found herself. That being said, she does have flaws, but she has her faith.

One thing is for sure, Gabhart keeps you hanging on until the literal last page. Her writing style is smooth and her characters are so lovable! I wonder if she'll be writing a book for Lorena? Either way, I am very pleased I opted to review Small Town Girl. It's a great historical read with which to spend the afternoon.

Available July 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, thanks!

Back Cover:
In the autumn of 1941, rumors of war whisper through Rosey Corner. The town practically vibrates in anticipation, as if it is holding its breath. But for Kate Merritt, it seems life is letting out a prolonged sigh. As Kate watches her sister marry the man Kate has loved since she was fifteen, her heart is silently breaking. And even the attentions of Jay Tanner, the handsome best man, can’t draw her interest.

Then suddenly, Pearl Harbor changes everything. Kate’s friends are rushing to get married before the boys go off to war. The newspapers talk of women making airplanes and bombs. Everyone in town begins rolling bandages, planting victory gardens, collecting scrap metal. Kate finds herself drawn to Jay in surprising ways, and when he enlists she can hardly breathe worrying about him getting killed. Could she truly be in love with him? And if she is, will she ever see him again?

4 comments:

  1. This does sound good! I will definitely need to check this out! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D You're welcome! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Enjoying this one much-ly also, Rosie! Glad it met with your approval. It's always more worth it when a book that we almost didn't read turns out to be such a good one. Kate and Jay are adorable, and Kate's familial ties are precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you like it too! Oh, yes. I was very apprehensive but I'm glad I made the leap. Jay and Kate are cute. :D

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.