Tuesday, August 27, 2013

On Distant Shores by Sarah Sundin {Revell Blog Tour!}

16117006My Review:
Another fantastic WWII story from Sarah Sundin!

Georgie was a highlight in With Every Letter and I couldn't wait to learn more about her. I love her kind heart. Without it, she and Rose would have missed out on a great friendship with Mellie, who we met in the first book. Though she'd let other people make decisions for her all her life, Georgie found herself ready for a change.

There was a little overlap between the first and this one, but a very minor one at that, and it didn't affect Georgie's story at all. As always, Sundin's writing is excellent and smooth. The journeys she put these characters on were not easy. However, on the flip side, our journey isn't either. Watching Georgie and Hutch grow through the course of the story felt like the most natural thing. Nothing happened too fast or too slow.

It was effortless to get lost in the era and world Georgie and Hutch found themselves in. I love the WWII era. The relationships, the faith, the common hope for a better future. One of my favorite scenes is set on Christmas day with Georgie on a flight. She led the men in carols and Christmas cheer, despite the war going on around them. You don't see or hear things like that any more. The scene is a highlight for me. Speaking of highlights I'll note real quick that Lucia is a big one. I hope we see her again! She was absolutely adorable!

Previous fans of Sundin's work will not be disappointed by her latest release. I loved following Georgie and Hutch through their struggles and I loved diving into their worlds for a time. I look forward to getting to know Kay better in the next book. Perhaps I'll finally have my questions answered.

Available August 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Back Cover:
Caught between the war raging around them and the battles within, two souls long for peace--and a love that remains true.

Lt. Georgiana Taylor has everything she could want. A boyfriend back home, a loving family, and a challenging job as a flight nurse. But in July 1943, Georgie's cozy life gets more complicated when she meets pharmacist Sgt. John Hutchinson.

Hutch resents the lack of respect he gets as a noncommissioned serviceman and hates how the war keeps him from his fiancĂ©e. While Georgie and Hutch share a love of the starry night skies over Sicily, their lives back home are falling apart. Can they weather the hurt and betrayal? Or will the pressures of war destroy the fragile connection they've made? 

2 comments:

  1. Great review, Rosie! I absolutely loved this book and can't wait for In Perfect Time!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.