Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Welcome to Last Chance by Cathleen Armstrong {Revell Blog Tour!}

Cover ArtMy Review:
A good debut from Armstrong!

I love stories about small towns. They're attractive because of the close-knit family feel they bring, yet this attractive quality also repels many. Last Chance emanates warmth and kindness. Its residents share the love of Christ to any wanderers, especially people running from something, like Lainie. I loved how Lainie learned to appreciate people, despite their obvious flaws and imperfections.

The change in Lainie from her arrival at Last Chance to the final pages is subtle, though she certainly is different by the end. Personally, I wanted to see more of her internal transition. However, I liked Lainie's courage. As for other characters, Fayette and Elizabeth have left a permanent mark on my memory. Elizabeth's stubbornness and Fayette's determination combined to eventually straighten Lainie out.

I did not like how Armstrong never gave us a description of Ray. I thought he was some older man at first, but after Lainie began to have an interest in him, I decided he must be younger than I thought. If anything, it was a minor frustration for me. The ending felt a little rushed with no post-climax. I finished the book longing for a little more faith presented in the story; however, given Lainie isn't a Christian at the onset that's okay. Armstrong's writing is easy to read and keep up with, but this isn't a favorite. I do look forward to where she takes this series and with whom.

I'd recommend this book to older teens, due to minor adult content (drinking, Ray owns a bar, drug dealing and using are brought up once or twice.)

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Available August 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

Back Cover:
The red warning light on her car dashboard drove Lainie Davis to seek help in the tiny town of Last Chance, New Mexico. But as she encounters the people who make Last Chance their home, it’s her heart that is flashing bright red warning lights. These people are entirely too nice, too accommodating, and too interested in her personal life for Lainie’s comfort-especially since she’s on the run and hoping to slip away unnoticed.
Yet in spite of herself, Lainie finds that she is increasingly drawn in to the dramas of small town life. An old church lady who always has room for a stranger. A handsome bartender with a secret life. A single mom running her diner and worrying over her teenage son. Could Lainie actually make a life in this little hick town? Or will the past catch up to her even here in the middle of nowhere?
 

5 comments:

  1. Hm. Sounds interesting. I wasn't sure if it was my type of book... So I got something else instead. At least... hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an intriguing read, Bethany. :)

      Delete
  2. This one is... interesting so far. Not sure if its a "good" thing though. I mean, yes, I am liking it but something is holding me back from finding it good enough to gush over. Hard to explain so we'll leave it at that. For now.

    Glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. While I liked it, it lacked something to be desired in the long run.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Hey Rosie! You've been tagged in the Teen's Top Teen post. You don't have to do this if you don't want. Either way, all the information is over on my blog.
    http://inklinedwriters.blogspot.com/2013/08/teens-top-10.html

    Great post!
    ~Sarah Faulkner

    www.inklinedwriters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.