Friday, August 16, 2013

Rules of Murder by Julianna Deering {CFBA}

This week, the
Christian Fiction Blog Alliance
is introducing
Rules of Murder
Bethany House Publishers (August 1, 2013)
by
Julianna Deering

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

JULIANNA DEERING has always been an avid reader and a lover of storytelling, whether on the page, the screen or the stage. This, along with her keen interest in history and her Christian faith, shows in her tales of love, forgiveness and triumph over adversity. A fifth-generation Texan, she makes her home north of Dallas with three spoiled cats and, when not writing, spends her free time quilting, cross stitching and watching NHL hockey. Her new series of Drew Farthering mysteries set in 1930s England debuts with Rules of Murder (Bethany House, 2013) and will be followed by Death by the Book (Bethany House, 2014).



ABOUT THE BOOK

Downton Abbey Meets Agatha Christie in This Sparkling Mystery

Drew Farthering loves a good mystery, although he generally expects to find it in the pages of a novel, not on the grounds of his country estate. When a weekend party at Farthering Place is ruined by murder and the police seem flummoxed, Drew decides to look into the crime himself. With the help of his best friend, Nick Dennison, an avid mystery reader, and Madeline Parker, a beautiful and whip-smart American debutante staying as a guest, the three try to solve the mystery as a lark, using the methods from their favorite novels.

Soon, financial irregularities at Drew's stepfather's company come to light and it's clear that all who remain at Farthering Place could be in danger. Trying hard to remain one step ahead of the killer--and trying harder to impress Madeline--Drew must decide how far to take this game.

If you would like to read the first chapter of Rules of Murder, go HERE.

My Review:
An exciting, 1930s mystery!

When I first heard about Rules of Murder I fell in love with the cover. The style and the font fit the story setting very well. But, as we all know, we cannot simply judge a book by its cover. I'm happy to say what I found inside the cute cover is a fabulous mystery that befuddled me further with every new clue. Though I will note with some pride I did see one of the twists coming... Ahem. Anyway.

Deering did her research well. Drew, Madeline, and Nick's accents, and even the way they talked, popped off the page. She crafted the setting very well, also bringing it off the page, reminiscent of Downton Abbey. I don't think she could have made the story feel any more real and for that, I praise her.

Drew and Madeline are positively adorable together. I loved the banter between them and between Drew and Nick. The three of them make up a great cast and I cannot wait to read more about them in the next novel Death by the Book!

If you enjoy mysteries or any of Agatha Christie's works (note: I have not read any of her novels) then I can guarantee you'll like this one. With an escalating mystery, true to the times characters, and a tangible setting, Deering's debut is one you won't want to miss. I recommend to 15+ for some minor violence surrounding a murder.

I received this book from CFBA, through the publisher, in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Great review, Rosie.

    You and I agree on this one completely - love Drew, Madeline and Nick together. They're fun characters to know plus oh my, yes! The period authenticity is brilliant. Bring on book two! I am ready to read more of their adventures. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yes! These characters are such gems. Love them!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a interesting book, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Melissa! Thanks for commenting! ;)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.