Friday, June 13, 2014

{Book Review:} Somebody Like You by Beth K. Vogt

20648658My Review:
Words cannot effectively describe this beautiful story!

It didn't take me long to be reeled in hook, line, and sinker into Somebody Like You. I am thoroughly impressed by Mrs. Vogt's talent, voice, and skill. I'm surprised I haven't picked up one of her books before now! Every aspect of the story felt so real that I had to remind myself it was fictional. You better believe I'm going to track down Mrs. Vogt's other books. ;-)

Haley is a woman who longs to be cared for- even if she doesn't realize it herself. For years and years she has striven to be as good as her brothers. Referred to as "Hal" by all her friends, even her late husband, she was simply "one of the guys." I loved her inner struggles, because they made her human and I understood her fears.

Stephen is a hurting man seeking something. Seeking what exactly, he isn't sure. I admired his compassion and servant's heart, and I appreciated the guilt he has been carrying around for going on a dozen years. In some ways, he was his twin's exact opposite. But, I'll save the details. All around, Stephen is a sigh-worthy lead and not because of his good looks.

To conclude, then, I really, really, really, enjoyed Somebody Like You. Like couldn't-put-it-down good. The plot drew me in and kept me intrigued while Mrs. Vogt's characters pulled at my heart-strings. I also loved how delicately Mrs. Vogt dealt with some issues present in our society. My opinion? You're going to have to read this book for yourself. I highly recommend to readers who enjoy contemporary romance ages sixteen and older for both readability and content.

I received this book for free from the author in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks, Mrs. Vogt!! 

Back Cover:
Can a young widow find love again with her husband’s reflection?

Haley’s three-year marriage to Sam, an army medic, ends tragically when he’s killed in Afghanistan. Her attempts to create a new life for herself are ambushed when she arrives home one evening—and finds her husband waiting for her. Did the military make an unimaginable mistake when they told her Sam was killed?

Too late to make things right with his estranged twin brother, Stephen discovers Sam never told Haley about him. As Haley and Stephen navigate their fragile relation­ship, they are inexorably drawn to each other. How can they honor the memory of a man whose death brought them together—and whose ghost could drive them apart?

Somebody Like You is a beautifully rendered, affecting novel, reminding us that while we can’t change the past, we have the choice to change the future and start anew.


Author Beth VogtAbout the Author:
Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” A nonfiction writer and editor who said she’d never write fiction, Beth is now a novelist with Howard Books. She enjoys writing inspirational contemporary romance because she believes there’s more to happily-ever-after than the fairy tales tell us. Connect with Beth on her website or check out her blog on quotes, In Others’ Words.

4 comments:

  1. This one is beautiful! There's a "realness" to the storytelling and Beth is sure to carry out every situation realistically and with a sense of humanity that was flawless. Glad you liked the book, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Rissi! I haven't read Beth's other books, but this one is definitely a personal favorite. :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVED this book! Beth has such a talent for storytelling. This one is definitely on my favorites list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joanne! She really does! Thank you for stopping by. :-)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.