Thursday, February 13, 2014

Rachel by Jill Eileen Smith {Revell Blog Tour!}

15747533My Review:
A heartbreaking fictional account of Jacob, Rachel, and Leah's life up to Benjamin's birth.

First off, I must say that I admire Smith's work. She presents three points of view in Rachel: Jacob, Rachel, and Leah. She did an amazing job. There is no easy way I could verbalize what I expected going into Rachel, but I am very pleased with the outcome. Smith personifies each widely recognized figure in a way we can relate to them. My heart broke so many times for both Rachel and Leah. I think it's safe to say Smith avoided bias.

We are not told much about daily affairs within Jacob's household, but I believe it is a safe assumption that the first few years things were tense and rough. Not only for the women but for poor Jacob as well. We'll never know the kind of people they were until we get to heaven, but I would like to think that Smith got a lot of things right. With every new release, she continues to impress me and I am torn as to whether Rebekah or Rachel is my favorite.

To conclude, I am a very picky reader when it comes to Biblical fiction and I am pleased to say that Smith meets all, if not most, of my high standards. I highly recommend this series in particular to fellow Biblical fiction fans out there. (I cannot speak about the Wives of King David series as I have not read them yet.) Smith does not shy away from topics spoken about in the Bible, but she does treat the more questionable content with delicate care. Jacob has four wives. We are told about him "going into their tent", but we are not given much detail, save for Leah and Rachel's wedding night where we are briefly told about the taking off of Rachel's robe and Jacob's ritual belt. Murder is mentioned and a in a city near Jacob's camp there is a festival of virgins.

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Back Cover:
Beautiful Rachel wants nothing more than for her older half sister Leah to wed and move out of their household. Maybe then she would not feel so scrutinized, so managed, so judged. Plain Leah wishes her father Laban would find a good man for her, someone who would love her alone and make her his only bride. Unbeknownst to either of them, Jacob is making his way to their home, trying to escape a past laced with deceit and find the future God has promised him.

But the past comes back to haunt Jacob when he finds himself on the receiving end of treachery and the victim of a cruel bait and switch. The man who wanted only one woman will end up with sisters who have never gotten along and now must spend the rest of their lives sharing a husband. In the power struggles that follow, only one woman will triumph . . . or will she?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.