Saturday, February 8, 2014

Shadows of the Past by Patricia Bradley {Revell Blog Tour!}

18059992My Review: (Warning! Minor spoilers below...read at own risk...)
Bradley debuts with a wonderful mystery!

I was immediately intrigued when I read the back cover copy for Shadows of the Past. I'm always eager for a new mystery to read late into the night and Shadows delivers just that. Bradley writes very well, bringing Scott, Taylor, and Nick off the page and to life. Every time you thought things couldn't unravel further, the stakes were raised again.

My favorite character, I think, was Scott and my second favorite, Livy. I really sympathized with Scott, and I wanted to see him recover. It disappointed me that there was no real, concrete resolution to his story; perhaps we'll be told or shown more in the next book. I also hope that we'll see more of Livy in the next book.

Taylor and Nick were well-crafted leads, but I had a hard time relating to Taylor. One aspect of Taylor I did like, was how realistic her emotions/struggles were. As Nick is a writer, I could relate to him more. I liked his loyalty and dependability. For me as a reader, I did not like how quickly a tense friendship turned into an almost-relationship.

To conclude, Bradley did a great job. However, I was able to pin the bad guy early on. I like to be surprised and proven wrong, so this did let me down a bit but this won't stop me from reading the next books in the series. As far as content goes, there is talk of crimes (rape, murder, etc.) and a couple kisses but nothing more. I look forward to what Bradley releases next!

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Back Cover:
Psychology professor and criminal profiler Taylor Martin prides herself on being able to solve any crime, except the one she wants most desperately to solve--the disappearance of her father twenty years ago. When she finally has a lead on his whereabouts, Taylor returns home to Logan Point, Mississippi, to investigate. But as she is stalking the truth about the past, someone is stalking her.

Nick Sinclair pens mystery novels for a living, but the biggest mystery to him is how he can ever get over the death of his wife--a tragedy he believes he could have prevented. With his estranged brother the only family he has left, Nick sets out to find him. But when he crosses paths with Taylor, all he seems to find is trouble.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. I was really interested in this but skipped it simply due to time, etc. I'll grab it on Amazon so mom can read it then pick it up later when I have the time. Thanks for sharing your great review, Rosie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it! Oh, I completely understand. I'm going to have to crack down in the coming months and limit myself. Thank you for commenting, Rissi! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.