Tuesday, April 14, 2015

{Book Review:} A Sparrow in Terezin by Kristy Cambron

My Review:
22578264An enchanting, emotional story!!

Oh, the emotions...or the feels, as some might say. I don't think I've ever come so close to crying while reading until this book. It was heartfelt. And it packed a punch in Terezin. But, okay, time for some honesty. I knew this book was about the Holocaust. I didn't go in blindly. Nevertheless, the beauty of Cambron's writing left my heart tangled up in the pages.

Ouch.

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

This book was the kind that left you hurting, but not without hope. There were moments when putting down the book was a necessity, not because of the surroundings, but because Cambron provoked thought. She artistically captures the setting, the characters, even the atmosphere. Don't misunderstand, I desperately enjoyed this book. But I didn't enjoy it for its "entertaining" quality. Oh, no. I enjoyed the refreshing message of hope.

Suffice it to say, you need to read this book. It's a wonderful story with relatable characters and a meaningful message. I highly recommend it. Readers should remember, however, that parts of this book are set in a concentration camp. Cambron does well to keep it toned down, but I felt the need to make readers aware.

I received this book from BookLook bloggers in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!! 

Back Cover:
Two women, one in the present day and one in 1942, each hope for a brighter future. But they'll both have to battle through their darkest days to reach it.

"Today. "With the grand opening of her new gallery and a fairytale wedding months away, Sera James appears to have a charmed life. But in an instant, the prospect of a devastating legal battle surrounding her fiance threatens to tear her dreams apart. Sera and William rush to marry and are thrust into a world of doubt and fear as they defend charges that could separate them for life.

"June 1942. "After surviving the Blitz bombings that left many Londoners with shattered lives, Kaja Makovsky prayed for the war to end so she could return home to Prague. But despite the horrors of war, the gifted journalist never expected to see a headline screaming the extermination of Jews in work camps. Half-Jewish with her family in danger, Kaja has no choice but to risk everything to get her family out of Prague. But with the clutches of evil all around, her escape plan crumbles into deportation, and Kaja finds herself in a new reality as the art teacher to the children of Terezin.

Bound by a story of hope and the survival of one little girl, both Sera and Kaja will fight to protect all they hold dear.

Psst... don't forget to enter the giveaway! Click on the image below to be taken to the page! 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful review. Hand me the tissues, sister! My heart smiles. THANK YOU ; )

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.