Friday, May 24, 2013

Book Review: The Bare Naked Truth by Bekah Hamrick Martin

I'll be frank, this book covers some uncomfortable topics. However, I found it well worth the read. 

Back Cover:
The Truth About Sex and Waiting ... Uncovered Purity. Sex. Boys. Waiting. 

The Bare Naked Truth: Dating, Waiting, and God's Purity PlanThere's something about those words that makes everything complex in a heartbeat, and raises more questions than answers. Is there something wrong with me if I don't kiss a boy after a date? Or am I doomed if I DID? What if waiting is just a one-way trip to life as a crazy cat woman? And what if I tend to, um, think about a certain boy in a certain way? It seems that the lady at church and your friends have two very different opinions on the subject. And 'Your Budding Womanhood: Staying a Beautiful Flower for Jesus' just isn't cutting it. 

Bekah Hamrick Martin knows the waiting game isn't easy or straight-forward. In The Bare Naked Truth, she lays everything on the table---including some embarrassing moments---as she explores the honest, naked truth behind what God means by purity. With additional entries from popular authors, you'll see the bare naked approach to waiting isn't always easy, but it's worth the risk.

My Review:
Debut author Bekah Martin brings to us a very serious yet pleasant read. She covers topics that many might classify as taboo. Nonetheless, if you are a Christian teenage girl (or even if you aren't) I think you could gain a lot by reading The Bare Naked Truth.

Throughout the book, Bekah shares appropriate scripture and has several of her friends share their personal stories/experiences/testimonies in the hope that we, as the reader, can learn from other people's mistakes and make our own educated decisions. I never once felt being preached at or talked down to. Bekah writes very openly and from the heart. She also makes some excellent points while making me laugh at the same time.

I read The Bare Naked Truth in about four to five hours, just because I couldn't put it down. Bekah really makes you step back and reexamine your plans in a positive way. I'm really glad that I had the chance to review this. Personally, reading the book made me rethink my decisions and plans. I highly recommend it!

I received this book from DJC Communications in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. I kinda wanted to get on a tour for this one, but ended up deciding not to -- not really the kind of book I usually review, and I really am too busy. HOWEVER. I'm adding it to my to-read list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly passed it over for that same reason, Charity. However, my curiosity won out. lol!! I think you'll like it, Charity, whenever you get to it. ;)

      Delete
    2. Really looking forward to getting this one someday! So I was poking through my lists on Goodreads, happened to see this one, and looked it up. I thought this review was interesting, and almost eye-opening. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/583672806 Rather interesting, isn't it!

      Delete
    3. I saw that review! Very interesting. It is sad to read that people think that way. :(

      Delete
  2. I read Bekah's book and blushed many times as I felt as if I was in a girls' locker room and reading diaries left open in that room. I think Bekah's book is cleverly written and offers great advice to young women. I wish I had read it as a teenage guy, before I entered my dating years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You weren't the only one blushing- and I'm a girl! Haha! Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an insightful, well-written book, Rosie. Thanks for making us aware of it.

    I don't usually read books like this (not because they are bad... just because I am so "into" my fiction) but the ones I have only reinforced my thoughts on this topic and I am sure Bekah's is an equally intelligent book as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! ;)

      I understand. :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.