Wednesday, October 2, 2013

First Date by Melody Carlson {Revell Blog Tour!}

17384593My Review:
While I cannot speak for Melody's other books, I am sad to say I was not impressed with First Date.

Maybe it's because I'm homeschooled (it probably is), but I found most of the book aggravating. Please realize that this is just my experience with the book and truthfully those who go to public school or a Christian school might enjoy this one better than I. There were only two characters I liked, Emma and Cassidy. I saw part of myself in both of them, though I don't really want to go into much detail.

The problem I have with the girls is simple. The girls were thinking with their hearts instead of thinking with their brains. All, if not most, of the girls were only looking at the present, not to the future. They had this mindset of, "Oh well it's not like we're going to get married someday."<- And that right there is another problem. If you aren't planning on a long, lasting, relationship with a guy, then why mess with dating? Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a long ramble, so I'll move on.

All things aside, Carlson's writing is great. I just had a problem with her characters and plot. I probably won't be picking up another Carlson YA book anytime soon and I don't recommend this book to other homeschoolers, as it isn't worth it.

This book will be available October 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Back Cover:
Five high school friends have one thing in common as they start their sophomore year: none of them have ever been on a "real" date. With homecoming looming, they make a pact and start a secret club they call the DG (Dating Game). They're sworn to secrecy--and to purity--but the club is their way to set each other up on their first dates so they can report back to the DG. Of course, they all make different choices about how to deal with their parents and how to act on their dates, and they discover that they all have totally different experiences. Still, the things they learn about boys and dating will stick with them throughout high school. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honesty here, Rosie. It's nice to know why/what you thought of this book; this was one I wanted to read way back when and then missed it. Sorry it wasn't your kind of book but I totally understand that sometimes a book just doesn't "click" with its reader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Rissi. It was a hard review to write, that's for sure. I sincerely thought I would enjoy it. Thanks for commenting!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.