Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Death Takes a Ride by Lorena McCourtney {Revell Blog Tour!}

18637156My Review:
Another great addition to the Cate Kinkaid Files!!

After loving the previous books spent with Cate, Mitch, and Octavia, I couldn't help myself when the opportunity arose to review Death Takes a Ride. Once again, Ms. McCourtney exceeds expectations as she rises above the common cliches associated with murder-mysteries. Nothing comes easily to Cate. Some might shrug at this, but this truly is what makes this series, particularly Cate, stand out over the ones where the main character always has that convenient friend.

Cate grows a little bit more in each book and I'm always excited to spend some time with the tomato-red head. Her quirks and her cat, Octavia really grow on you. Cate comes through so clearly that, though the book is written in third person, there were times I had to remind myself it wasn't first person! I really hope this isn't the last we see of Cate and Mitch (especially after that ending!!), because I would love to read another book.

When I sit down to read a mystery, my biggest concern is whether or not I'll be surprised with the ending. This time, I was not surprised but that didn't detract at all from the experience for me. Instead, I felt more of a "I knew it!" avalanche of excitement rather than a "Drat. I was right." disappointment. As I stated earlier in the review, I hope there's another book!!

I recommend this novel to readers who enjoy a more relaxed mystery novel over the common suspense/thriller. Things to know: a character is killed by being impaled in the head. I think readers should be at least fifteen or sixteen before diving into this novel.

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!!

Back Cover:
Cate Kinkaid arrives at H&B Classic Auto Restorations to give a friend a ride. But, as usual, trouble finds Cate even there--this time in the form of one dead man, one wounded man, and what appears to be a pretty obvious case of self-defense. Owner Matt Halliday wants to hire her, but not for this case. Instead, Cate is charged with finding a man who owns a particular motorcycle Matt would like to buy. As her search progresses, she begins to suspect that the shooting in Matt's office may not have been as cut-and-dried as it appeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.