Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book Review: Child of the Mist by Kathleen Morgan


 Child of the Mist (These Highland Hills, #1)

Summary:
 In the harsh Scottish highlands of 1565, superstition and treachery threaten a truce between rival clans. It's a weak truce at first, bound only by an arranged engagement between Anne MacGregor and Niall Campbell-the heirs of the feuding families.
While Niall wrestles with his suspicions about a traitor in his clan, Anne's actions do not go unnoticed. And as accusations of witchcraft abound, the strong and sometimes callous Campbell heir must fight for Anne's safety among disconcerted clan members. Meanwhile his own safety in threatened with the ever-present threat of someone who wants him dead.
Will Niall discover the traitor's identity in time? Can Anne find a way to fit into her new surroundings? Will the two learn to love each other despite the conflict? With a perfect mix of a burgeoning romance and thrilling suspense, this book is historical fiction at its best.



My Review:
I did not know what to expect when I opened the cover of this book. I went in completely blind. The beginning was a little bit too slow for my taste and I easily anticipated what was the conflict. (I had not read the back of the book summary/synopsis.) I did not easily anticipate, however, the many twists and mysterious turns Morgan left to be guessed. 

Some characters were more easily loved than others at first. Anne, for instance, is instantaneously likable from the start, as is Iain. It's Niall I had to warm up to. Honestly, I was rooting for Iain to sweep Anne away--despite the fact I knew she and Niall would end up together--for most of the book. Although Niall eventually swayed me over. ;-)


This book was written in third person but Morgan's style made me feel like it was written in first and from Anne's perspective. That is something I really cherished about this book. Something else I liked was when Anne made a huge sacrifice that threatened her life all for two people she loves. That, to me, makes her an excellent heroine. 


Morgan preformed very well in bringing to us a thought out and researched setting and dialogue. The superstition about witches and Anne's healing knowledge proved all to be accurate. Overall, I was quite impressed with this book and I look forward to reading more by this author.


Interested? You can purchase the book here!

2 comments:

  1. Nice review, Rosie! Hope you get to read many more from this author :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.