Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Book Review: Unlocked by Karen Kingsbury

My Review:
A heart-warming read from Karen Kingsbury! Alas, this is the first novel I've read from Miss Kingsbury and I have to confess, I'm impressed. With well crafted characters and an engaging story there isn't much more to ask for.

In Unlocked we get a glimpse of how destructive bullying is and how judging a person based solely on the external tells you nothing about the person on the inside. It also gave me an insight to autism and how it affects a family's life.

I really enjoyed Miss Kingsbury's novel and I look forward to reading more by her.

I give this book four stars.

Back of the Book:
Before You Take a Stand ... You Got to Take a Chance.
Holden Harris is an eighteen-year-old locked in a prison of autism. Despite his quiet ways and quirky behaviors, Holden is very happy and socially normal---on the inside, in a private world all his own. In reality, he is bullied at school by kids who only see that he is very different. Ella Reynolds is part of the 'in' crowd. A cheerleader and star of the high school drama production, her life seems perfect. When she catches Holden listening to her rehearse for the school play, she is drawn to him ... the way he is drawn to the music. Then, Ella makes a dramatic discovery---she and Holden were best friends as children. Frustrated by the way Holden is bullied, and horrified at the indifference of her peers, Ella decides to take a stand against the most privileged and popular kids at school. Including her boyfriend, Jake.Ella believes miracles can happen in the unlikeliest places, and that just maybe an entire community might celebrate from the sidelines. But will Holden's praying mother and the efforts of Ella and a cast of theater kids be enough to unlock the prison that contains Holden? This time, friendship, faith, and the power of a song must be strong enough to open the doors to the miracle Holden needs.

I borrowed this book from my local library, no review was required. 

Interested? You can purchase the book here! 

2 comments:

  1. I have a so-so feeling for Karen's writing. I really enjoyed her 9/11 series (albeit they are sad) and quite liked the Bailey Flanigan set BUT it is almost as if in every set of characters and/or books, she is "afraid" to let her characters have their happy ending and that gets old! It was also well past time to say good-bye to the Baxter family. It frustrated me that they were so prevalent in Bailey's stories when those books were meant to be about Bailey.

    Ah, well! Enough of my rambling! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, I like your rambling. :p I've seen the Bailey books on the shelf at my library- but I've yet to have time to touch them. It's good to know that trend you've noticed. :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.