Thursday, September 27, 2012

Book Review: This Scarlet Cord by Joan Wolf

My Review:

Rahab’s love story

This Scarlet CordThose were the words that piqued my interest. We all know who Rahab is, right? She was the woman who helped Joshua’s spies escape in Jericho. She is also mentioned in the genealogy of Christ in the book of Matthew.  

So I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect when I opened up Joan Wolf’s latest release. Granted the book was not what I expected, but I still enjoyed it somewhat. Miss Wolf’s writing is easy to read, and her imaginings about life in Biblical times appeared factual. 

I really liked how she portrayed Rahab: a free spirit, kind, life-loving, and beautiful girl. However, despite what we were told (that Rahab was only fourteen) it felt like she was much, much older. To pin an age to that, I mean sixteen or seventeen. She didn’t read at all like a fourteen year old, except maybe when she was pining for Sala.

Speaking of Sala, he also at times didn’t seem as mature as his age would demand (eighteen). He had his endearing moments though, which made up for the latter.  His compassion saved Rahab from being sold into slavery and his love brought her to Yahweh, making him an all around likable character. 

Overall, though I felt it took too much creative license here and there, I did like This Scarlet Cord. Before I finish though, I feel I must mention there is a sizable amount of implied sexual relations, due to the pagan culture Rahab lived in, and there was a situation/scene that left me very uncomfortable. Though Miss Wolf spared details, I felt it was unnecessary. For that reason, I give the book three stars.

Back of the Book:
A chasm lies between Rahab and her beloved Sala that can never be crossed.
Though Sala rescues young Rahab from slave bandits, he knows he can never fall in love with a
Canaanite. His belief in the One True God prevents them from a future together. Rahab's beauty
gains royal notice, and she is selected to entice the King during the annual sacred marriage
reenactment praising their pagan god, Baal.
But when the King suffers a heart attack and dies, Rahab is saved from the humiliating act. Her
despair drives her curiosity about Sala's One True God. Could He accept her . . . even love her?
Deceit and pride stand in the way of Rahab's happy ending. Only God can use these events to tell
the larger story of forgiveness and redemption.

4 comments:

  1. Biblical fiction is always tough, because like you pointed out, there are times when they take too much creative license. I highly recommend books by Mesu Andrews though, for some reason I really like her books! And I think they were free on kindle at some point so you might have them :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Love's Sacred Song by Mesu and really enjoyed it. I'm dipping my toes in Tessa Afshar's take on Rahab in the next week or so. I've heard that it's better.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Have you read the one by Francine Rivers? Unashamed. It's more true to the Biblical representation I think. :D Good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't even heard of it! I had been told to try Tessa Afshar's version though.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.