Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Review: A Hope Undaunted by Julie Lessman




Back Cover (from Goodreads): 
The 1920s are drawing to a close, and feisty Katie O'Connor is the epitome of the new woman--smart and sassy with goals for her future that include the perfect husband and a challenging career in law. Her boyfriend Jack fits all of her criteria for a husband--good-looking, well-connected, wealthy, and eating out of her hand. But when she is forced to spend the summer of 1929 with Luke McGee, the bane of her childhood existence, Katie comes face-to-face with a choice. Will she follow her well-laid plans to marry Jack? Or will she fall for the man she swore to despise forever?

My Review:
I must give a fair warning of possible spoilers in this review... I'll do my best!

A Hope UndauntedI was so, so, SO excited to read Katie's story after reading about her antics as a child. Going into the book I thought I knew how things would play out. Keyword being: thought. If one thing hasn't changed from the Daughters of Boston series to the Winds of Change series it's this: Julie Lessman knows how to incorporate twists like no other. Haha! She not only shredded my hopes for a happy ending but then she ripped out my heart...only to patch everything back together before "the end".

I kid you not.

Katie O'Connor has been the object of most of my laughs throughout Faith, Charity, and Lizzie's stories and I am glad to say she still is in A Hope Undaunted. Armed with spunk, attitude, and a strong will, Katie does not live an angelic lifestyle... Until her father goes to extreme measures to rein her in. But, despite her flaws, I still love Katie. And Luke, for that matter. However, they still remain the two most frustrating beings next to Charity and Mitch.

I'm going to put an end to my review here, because I'd hate to spoil anything for you. But, in sum, this was a fun book to read. Sadly for me, there are several romantic scenes I had to skim over and some all together skip, just like the previous books. :-( Because of this, I recommend this series to mature older teens/adults.

I purchased this book, no review required.

5 comments:

  1. Had to put this one aside in favor of reading the last book but liked it so far. Someday I'll finish it! Happy you liked it fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know what you mean. I started this one in November! My stack of review copies got too big so I also had to set it aside. So glad I finished it though! :-)

      Delete
  2. Rosie, I too loved this book! Other than, of course, some scenes with a little too much passion for me...disappointing, because it means I can't whole-heartedly recommend it. I do really want to read Charity's story someday, for obvious reasons! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. :( It did seem like there was more passion in this one, and not necessarily a "pure" passion either. I think you'll like Charity's story. ;-D lol

      Delete
  3. Rosie, thank you SO much for the great review -- I really appreciate you taking the time to finish AHU. And you might be happy to know -- along with Charity U. -- that my new Heart of San Francisco series, which releases in 2 months with Love at Any Cost, is tamed down considerably in the passion area, primarily because it's a lighter, funnier read with NO married couples in it, which is where most of the passion came from in my other two series. I'd be most anxious to hear what you think if and when you read it, okay?

    Thanks again and have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.