Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book Review: The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen

About the Book:
Emma Smallwood, determined to help her widowed father regain his spirits when his academy fails, agrees to travel with him to the distant Cornwall coast, to the cliff-top manor of a baronet and his four sons. But after they arrive and begin teaching the younger boys, mysterious things begin to happen and danger mounts. Who does Emma hear playing the pianoforte, only to find the music room empty? Who sneaks into her room at night? Who rips a page from her journal, only to return it with a chilling illustration?

The baronet's older sons, Phillip and Henry, wrestle with problems--and secrets--of their own. They both remember Emma Smallwood from their days at her father's academy. She had been an awkward, studious girl. But now one of them finds himself unexpectedly drawn to her.

When the suspicious acts escalate, can the clever tutor's daughter figure out which brother to blame... and which brother to trust with her heart?
My Review:
The Tutor's DaughterAnother great regency novel from Miss Klassen!!

I was, and still am, pretty excited about this novel. I am a huge fan of Miss Klassen's novels, mainly because she writes so elegantly and in a way that subtlety reminds me of Jane Austen. The Tutor's Daughter really fought for my favorite spot of all Klassen's novels, and it succeeded. It beat The Maid of Fairbourne Hall ever so slightly.

The Tutor's daughter's name is Emma Smallwood. She helps her father with his pupils and keeps their books. She likes things to be tidy and in order, a quirk I can very much relate to but not to the extreme Emma goes to sometimes. An unusual component in this novel is that Emma is the one to have turned her back on God, not Henry. Typically in novels I've read the roles are reversed and it's up to the woman to convert the man. Seeing Miss Klassen do the opposite was refreshing and different.

Henry Weston is the son and heir to Sir Giles, baronet. He studied under Emma's father, John Smallwood several years past and was notoriously known for tormenting Emma during his stay. Now that they meet again, things have changed. He is older, more mature, and holds firm belief in God.

I was truly baffled by the mysteries woven into the tale, and I don't say that often. I won't say much more because I would hate to spoil this fantastic book for you. :-) I highly recommend this novel to anyone who loves Regency novels or Jane Austen. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I purchased this book, no review required.

7 comments:

  1. Love Jane Austen and Regency tales. I won this book recently and am eagerly anticipating it's arrival! Pretty sure I'll love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats!! I think you will, Charity! :D

      Delete
  2. Only read one or so of Julie's novels - they weren't on my keeper shelf though; the trailer for this one did leave me curious. :)

    Super happy it earned your five-star rating, Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? This one certainly kept my head spinning. lol!

      Delete
  3. This definitely was an awesome book! I too was shocked at how well the author was truly able to baffle me! This was my second Klassen book but definitely not my last. It is a close match as to whether this one or The Maid of Fairbourne Hall is my fav!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you'll have to check out the Silent Governess! I really liked that one. ;D

      Delete
    2. I'm really hoping to read all of them! The Silent Governess definitely looks really good!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.