Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Book Review: The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen

My Review:
This book is for Jane Austen fans!! The Maid of Fairbourne Hall is my first read by Ms. Klassen and it won't likely be my last. I was captivated by her portrayal of 1800s England and the class separation. It is so different from today!

Margaret Macy is in a predicament. Her evil stepfather wishes to steal her inheritance by forcing her to marry his nephew, Marcus Benton. Luckily enough for Margaret, she cannot marry without her consent. What's not so lucky is that her 25th birthday (at which point in time she shall receive her inheritance) is still three months off. How shall she put off her scheming uncle and his nephew for so long? Simple really. She flees with her ex-maid Joan. Just like Joseph fled from Potiphar's wife.

Along her flight she discovers the only option to protect herself, and her money, is to become a maid. So with the help of Joan they make up a new name for her- Nora Garrett. But their time together is cut short when Joan is quickly hired off, leaving Margaret to her own devices.

I really enjoyed watching Margaret's character develop, as well as Nate's too. The setting and storyline were engaging leaving my only complaint to be that sometimes the story lagged.

I highly recommend this book!

Back of the Book:
Pampered Margaret Macy flees London in disguise to escape pressure to marry a dishonorable man. With no money and nowhere else to go, she takes a position as a housemaid in the home of Nathaniel Upchurch, a suitor she once rejected in hopes of winning his dashing brother. Praying no one will recognize her, Margaret fumbles through the first real work of her life. If she can last until her next birthday, she will gain an inheritance from a spinster aunt--and sweet independence. But can she remain hidden as a servant even when prying eyes visit Fairbourne Hall?
Observing both brothers as an "invisible" servant, Margaret learns she may have misjudged Nathaniel. Is it too late to rekindle his admiration? And when one of the family is nearly killed, Margaret alone discovers who was responsible. Should she come forward, even at the risk of her reputation and perhaps her life? And can she avoid an obvious trap meant to force her from hiding?
On her journey from wellborn lady to servant to uncertain future, Margaret must learn to look past appearances and find the true meaning of "serve one another in love."
 


Interested? You can purchase the book here! 

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I have this one sitting on my shelf and I really need to get to it :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This one sat on my shelf for two months until I finally had an opening to read it. lol

      I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Rosie!!!!! Long time, no talk, huh? I still love the design of the blog, by the way. It's all purpley and awesome!!! ^_^ (Sorry, I'm slightly hyper.) Ooh, before I forget, I tagged you in a blog post game, and I would be thrilled if you'd check it out.
    http://beingbecki.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-painfully-overdue-post.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki!!! I've missed you! :D I'll check it out right away.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.