Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Book Review: Elisha's Bones by Don Hoesel

My Review:
What a roller-coaster ride! Elisha's Bones reminded me much of an Indiana Jones movie at first, but Hoesel made this adventure his own with many twists I couldn't anticipate.
Elisha's Bones
Elisha's Bones is all written in the mind of Jack Hawthorne, former archeologist and current professor. This actually was a first for me because from what I recall I haven't read a book in the mind of a guy. Don't get me wrong, I liked this change. It was neat to get into a guy's head for a while.

Moving forward, I liked how I didn't know what was coming next. That in itself was refreshing, including the fact that there is no clear resemblance between the Indiana characters and Hoesel's. That brought a big smile to my face.

Elisha's Bones is a novel with a thick plot and realistic settings that you can get lost in. There were some minor personal issues I had with Jack, and there were some occasions I struggled to keep up but overall it was a good read. I look forward to reading Hoesel's next novel Serpent of Moses.

I give this book 4 stars.

Back of the Book:
Every year, professor of antiquities Jack Hawthorne looks forward to the winter break as a time to hide away from his responsibilities. Even if just for a week or two. But this year, his plans are derailed when he's offered almost a blank check from a man chasing a rumor. Billionaire Gordon Reese thinks he knows where the bones of the prophet Elisha are--bones that in the Old Testament brought the dead back to life. A born skeptic, Jack doesn't think much of the assignment but he could use the money, so he takes the first step on a chase for the legendary bones that will take him to the very ends of the earth. But he's not alone. Joined with a fiery colleague, Esperanza Habilla, they soon discover clues to a shadowy organization whose long-held secrets have been protected . . . at all costs. As their lives are threatened again and again, the real race is to uncover the truth before those chasing them hunt them down.

Interested? You can purchase it for free on kindle through 8/31!!

I bought this book and these are my honest opinions about it.

4 comments:

  1. Until your posts, I don't think I've ever heard of this author or book. Not sure I've like it though since I do struggle with first person prose. Once I get into a book - IF it's good, generally, I can overcome that but yeah... I am just not sure about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, you may like Serpent of Moses. It's in third person. :-)

      Delete
  2. I kind of know what you mean when it comes to reading a book from a guy's POV. I've read some I think. Anyhow, it sounds like you had a pretty good read!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.