Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Book Review: Perfectly Unique by Annie F. Downs (ARC)

Perfectly Unique: Praising God From Head to FootMy Review: 
You will hardly find me with a non-fiction book. I don't like reading them, I disagree with most of them, and I think fiction is the bee's knees.

But Ms. Downs has changed my opinion. This once. ;)

Ms. Downs brings us a book all about learning to love ourselves and how to praise God with our bodies. My expectations were set. I was ready to disagree. But I was happily disappointed. Instead, I was smiling and laughing at Ms. Down's down-to-earth writing and I was thinking through everything she said. I loved the first two chapters so much I corralled my cousin Tabitha into reading through the book with me!

Through the book, Ms. Downs discusses mind, eyes, ears, mouth, shoulders, heart, hands, stomach, knees, and lastly feet. At the end of every chapter she's formed little "activities" which include Bible verses to read, words to look up in the dictionary, and things to think on. I accepted all her advice at the end of each chapter and performed some (sadly not all, but I will go back and do them!) of the "activities".

To conclude, Ms. Downs makes you feel like you're her best friend. She shares stories from her personal life, recipes which can be found in the Appendix, and gives solid advice. I highly, highly recommend this book to every teenage girl.

Perfectly Unique: Praising God from Head to Foot will release early September.

Back of the Book:
Your body is an instrument.

No, it’s not a flute, or a guitar (I hope).
It is a sacred and original design by a master craftsman with a specific plan and purpose.

That’s a pretty big deal.

From head to foot, the way you view your body is directly connected to how you serve God. Seriously. From the thoughts you think to the steps you take, every part of you is linked to the divine.
Perhaps you are struggling with your body image or are trying to make sense of why God made you as you are. Maybe you are looking for new ways to understand Scripture or to love God more fully. Either way, this book will take you on a thoughtful, funny, and spirit-filled exploration of the way you were designed and will help you better honor the Creator by learning to value his perfectly unique creation (yourself!)


Psst! How do you like the new blog look? Let me know by posting a comment! ;-)

I received this book from Zondervan's Good Teen Reads in return for an honest review. Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. Hey, Rosie! I love the new blog look. It makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Becki! Thanks! I'm really liking it too. I love how elegant it turned out. :-D Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Your blog is so darn pretty, Rosie!!! Purple <3 And I do like your book review. The book itself sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cuzzie! The book was great. I'm a better person having read it.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous blog! And this sounds like an awesome book; I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the review, Rosie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And you're very welcome, Rachel! :-)

      Delete
  4. Your blog is SUPER cute and I am beyond grateful for you kind review. I'm so so glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The book was absolutely excellent! :-D

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.