Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Waiting for Spring by Amanda Cabot {Revell Blog Tour}

Back Cover (from Revell):
Amanda Cabot explores themes of love, courage and sacrifice in the second book of the Westward Winds series. With an authentic backdrop of 1880s Wyoming, Cabot creates characters whose struggle to forge a life in the old West ultimately win your heart.

After the loss of her husband and the birth of her baby, Charlotte has had a long, hard year. But when a notorious robber believes she knows the location of a long-lost treasure, she flees to Cheyenne and opens a dressmaker's shop to lie low and make a living. When wealthy cattle baron and political hopeful Barrett Landry enters the shop to visit her best customer Miriam, Charlotte feels drawn to him.

If Barrett is to be a senator of the soon-to-be state of Wyoming, he must make a sensible match, and Miriam has all the right connections. Yet he can't shake the feeling that Charlotte holds the key to his heart and his future.

Soon the past comes to call, and Barrett's plans crumble around him. Will Charlotte and Barrett find the courage to look love in the face? Or will their fears blot out any chance for happiness? 

My Review:
Waiting for SpringWaiting for Spring has just a dabble of mystery, a wink of romance, and a touch of faith within its pages.

From page one I grew fond of Charlotte, a widow and mother of a blind year old son named David. Charlotte does what she deems best for her son at every turn, going as far as changing her identity to protect them. Her strength despite her fear is so honorable. She tends to David and protects him like a mother bear over her cub.

It took a few chapters but I did grow to like the male lead, Barrett Landry. His mother taught him to be a gentleman, though they were never rich, which made him honorable, respectable, and loyal. Over the course of the book he discovers what's really important to him and what isn't, a realization that saves him from a lot of heartbreak.

Amanda Cabot incorporates the right amount of mystery and romance for a good blend. Her main characters are strong, as is her villain. In some ways, I wish she had not revealed the villain as soon as she did but it worked out, in a sense, knowing as long as I-the reader-did. Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable read. :-)

Available January 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, thanks!

Amanda CabotAbout Amanda: 
Amanda Cabot is an accomplished author under various pen names and a popular speaker. The author of Paper Roses, Scattered Petals, Tomorrow's Garden, and Summer of Promise, she is also a charter member of Romance Writers of America, the cofounder of its New Jersey chapter, a member of the ACFW, and an avid traveler. She lives in Wyoming.

8 comments:

  1. This book has the awesomest cover...I just love the shade of blue and the dress! Definitely on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too, Charity! :)

      Delete
    2. Charity -- I have to admit that this is my favorite cover, and that's saying a lot, since Revell has given me consistently good covers for all my books. But this one is extra special. If you haven't heard the story behind it, here's a link:
      http://www.sff.net/people/amanda.cabot/index_files/behind-spring.htm

      Delete
  2. Decided not to read this one since I've already got a handful of Amanda's novels and haven't read a single one! First, I should know if I even like her writing. LOL!

    Anyway, I am trying to become more selective in the novels I read so that I "know" going in if I'll enjoy it or not. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! That would probably be wise. ;) I've been trying to be a bit more selective as well. My pile of TBR books is climbing rapidly...

      Delete
  3. I have enjoyed the other books of this author's that I've read and this one looks like it'll be just as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, Abbi! :D I hope you like it.

      Delete
    2. Abbi -- I hope you enjoy it as much as Rosie did.

      And Rosie, thanks so much for taking the time to read and review my book. I appreciate it!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.