Thursday, March 7, 2013

Book Review: The Bridesmaid by Beverly Lewis

Back Cover (from Amazon):
Twenty-seven-year-old Joanna Kurtz has made several trips to the altar, but never as a bride. The single young Amishwoman is a closet writer with a longing to be published something practically unheard of in her Lancaster County community. Yet Joanna's stories aren't her only secret. She also has a beau who is courting her from afar, unbeknownst even to her sister, Cora, who, though younger, seems to have suitors to spare.

Eben Troyer is a responsible young Amishman who hopes to make Joanna Kurtz his bride--if he can ever leave his parents' farm in Shipshewana, Indiana. Yet with his only brother off in the English world, intent on a military career, Eben's hopes for building a life with his dear Joanna are dimming, and patience is wearing thin. Will Joanna ever be more than a bridesmaid?
 
My Review:
The Bridesmaid (Home to Hickory Hollow, #2)A sweet Amish tale!

After reading The Fiddler a few months back, I was eager to read Joanna's story. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Always a bridesmaid never a bride." Sadly, this saying appears true for Joanna and her sister, Cora Jane, won't let her forget it.

Joanna has such a sweet spirit and kind heart. I think I like her better than I did Amelia in the first book. Though Cora Jane, did some cruel things to her, I loved how Joanna brushed herself off and forgave. That is not an easy thing to do so I applaud her for that.

Eben, Joanna's beau, is faced with a lot of obstacles and I liked how he handled them with a level head, though his heart ached. He's an honorable man, strong in his faith. And best of all, he's a great match for Joanna.

For a girl who isn't an avid reader of Amish fiction, this book is very much to my liking. Beverly Lewis is an excellent author and I can't help but adore her characters.

I checked this book out at my local library, no review required. All opinions stated are my own.

4 comments:

  1. wow, that sounds pretty good! I love your background design, by the way! very elegant! new follower! :)great review!
    Juliet
    www.apurplesky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Juliet! I love your blog design! Followed you back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a sweet story. :)

    Glad you liked it, Rosie.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.