Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Moonlight Masquerade by Ruth Axtell (Revell Blog Tour)

Back Cover (from Revell):
Sometimes it is hard to tell if you are the cat or the mouse.

Lady Céline Wexham seems the model British subject. French by birth but enjoying life in 1813 as a widowed English countess, she is in the unique position of being able to help those in need-or to spy for the notorious Napoleon Bonaparte.

When Rees Phillips of the British Foreign Office is sent to pose as the countess’s butler and discover where her true loyalties lie, he is confident he will uncover the truth. But the longer he is in her fashionable townhouse in London’s West End, the more his staunch loyalty to the Crown begins to waver as he falls under Lady Wexham’s spell.

Will he find the proof he needs? And if she is a spy after all, what then will he do? 

My Review:
A mysterious regency romance!

Moonlight MasqueradeThe title very well suits this novel, and not just literally. We are taken back through time to 1813 London with Napoleon Bonaparte at large in France. I confess, I'm very partial to Julie Klassen's regency novels so I set my expectations high and for the most part Miss Axtell came through. :-)

On the very first page I was intrigued and drawn to have my questions answered. Rees is a great gentleman with a strong faith in God and a love for his country. When he's sent on assignment from the Foreign Office to spy on Lady Wexham he's ready to ferret her out. What he didn't expect was for her to be so... charming.

The writing is well done. The setting shows Miss Axtell did her research. And her characters are lovable, except perhaps Valentine... but that's okay. Hehehe! Near the closing of the book it appeared Miss Axtell was building an epic end to the book. However it did not go as I thought it would and seemed to drag out.

To conclude, I did enjoy Moonlight Masquerade and look forward to what Miss Axtell comes out with in the future. If you're a fan of a light mystery or of regency era novels this book may be for you.

I received this book from Revell in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Available March 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

About Ruth (from Revell):
Ruth Axtell is the author of thirteen novels, including Wild Rose, one of Booklist's Top Ten in Christian Fiction. Currently a resident of Downeast Maine, Axtell has lived in the Canary Islands, Miami, and the Netherlands.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one, Rosie. The title is intriguing as is the cover a pretty picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is pretty, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  2. Great review! I was glad to read your thoughts since I've been wanting to read this one so it's good to know that it's good!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.