Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Book Review: Firefly Island by Lisa Wingate

Back Cover:
At thirty-four, congressional staffer Mallory Hale is about to embark on an adventure completely off the map. After a whirlwind romance, she is hopelessly in love with two men--fortunately, they're related. Daniel Everson and his little boy, Nick, are a package deal, and Mallory suddenly can't imagine her future without them. 

Mallory couldn't be more shocked when Daniel asks her to marry him, move to Texas, and form a family with him and motherless Nick. The idea is both thrilling and terrifying. 

Mallory takes a leap of faith and begins a sweet, mishap-filled journey into ranch living, Moses Lake society, and a marriage that at times reminds her of the mail-order-bride stories. But despite the wild adventure of her new life, she discovers secrets and questions beneath her rosy new life. Can she find answers on Firefly Island, a little chunk of property just off the lakeshore, where mysterious lights glisten at night?

My Review:
Firefly IslandThis is a release from Wingate you won't want to miss!

Merely pages into Firefly Island I discovered my likeness to Miss Wingate's writing style. It has made me wonder why I haven't read anything by her before and how that will have to change. This story is what I would describe as a contemporary romance with a touch of humor and mystery woven in.

Mallory's head is a fun place to be in. She has such a fun personality and outlook on life that made it hard to set the book down. Though she's very practical in a lot of ways she still takes many a leap of faith. While slowly adjusting into her new role as a stay-at-home mom, she does ponder some deep questions about God. It just saddened me that He wasn't as involved in the story as He could have been.

Miss Wingate has done an excellent job with Firefly Island. She accomplished writing a great lead character that we can get to know and relate to. And she also brings Moses Lake to life before our eyes. I really felt that small-town closeness. :-) If you like contemporary romance novels with some mystery, this is for you!

I received this book from Bethany House in return for an honest review of my opinions, thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read, Rosie! Like you, I don't think I've read anything by Lisa and for some reason thought I wouldn't really like her style. Don't know what brought on that idea though...

    Thanks for reviewing it - that cover is also pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ought to give her a try then, Rissi! I think you might like it. :)

      Thank you for commenting!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.