Thursday, March 28, 2013

My Spring Break: Writing Edition

Hey all!

This past week my family took a spring-break visit to my home state to see friends and visit my grandmother. Sadly, I do not have any pictures to share because I forgot to pack my camera charger and it died on me before I could even arrive. Nor did I snag any pictures with my phone.

Anyway, the best part about these excursion trips is the memories you make and the experience you gain from spending hours in the car. It's great for writing novels in which your main character is in the car a lot. :-) Over the years my family has exercised several different methods of staying entertained for the 16 hour drive. We've played travel Yahtzee and travel bingo. We've listened to audio books and tons of radio. Some of us sleep and some of us read.

But when it comes down to writing boring travel scenes, you can't have everyone but the driver and MC sleeping. You have to carry the scene in a way that doesn't put your reader to sleep. One of the devices I like to use is humor. It lifts the mood and keeps not only me engaged while I write but allows for some downtime between the reader and the characters. It's a time for the reader to get to know the characters when they aren't under pressure, just some things to keep in mind.

To conclude this random post, I had a great vacation and got to see friends I haven't in ages. :) Hopefully I'll get the blog back on its feet over the weekend. Thanks for reading!!

-Rosie

2 comments:

  1. Hooray, Rosie is back. :)

    Glad you had such a fun trip - it's always memorable to see friends and family after a long time apart.

    Good luck with that novel - sounds promising. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is refreshing, especially because we don't see them as often as we did.

      Thank you as always for commenting!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.