Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Back Before Dark by Tim Shoemaker

Back Before Dark (Code of Silence, #2)My Review:
An exciting sequel to Code of Silence!

Once again we return to northern Illinois to the adventurous world of Cooper, Gordy, and Hiro. I hadn't really taken a look at the back cover in a few weeks, so I dove straight into the book unaware of what was going to happen. Within pages, the new mystery and thrill had begun.

In this installment, Lunk has officially been added to Coop's circle of friends. He is a great addition to the group in Back Before Dark primarily because in the long absence of Gordy, Coop needed someone. Lunk really made an effort to change and I adored his loyalty to Coop. While he still has some personal flaws, he is a very interesting character to read about.

Hiro was and is my favorite character so far in the series. She reminds me a lot of myself in many ways. I like how Shoemaker has made Hiro the "Jiminy Cricket" of the group. She's very by the book and probably the most responsible. I constantly wanted to high-five Hiro's efforts to keep Coop in line.

I would hate to say too much and spoil such a great mystery book, so I'll keep this brief. Shoemaker does an excellent job with the pacing of events, character development, and plot depth. I recommend this book to boys, although girls will enjoy it too, anywhere from 12+. There is a dark undertone mentioned concerning Gordy's abduction, so parents might want to take a look at this first. I look forward to the next book in the series.

I received this book from DJC Communications in return for an honest review of my opinions, thanks!

Back Cover:
Taken! A detour through the park leads Cooper, Gordy, Hiro, and Lunk straight into a trap, and Gordy is abducted! For the kidnapper, it's all a game, a way to settle an old score, with no one getting hurt. But evil has a way of escalating, and once his identity is discovered, the rules change. Despite the best of police efforts, the hours tick by without a clue or a ransom call, leaving everyone to their own fears. Gordy is gone. Cooper descends deeper into a living nightmare, imagining the worst for his best friend and cousin. Hours stretch into days, and talks of a memorial service begin to surface. But Cooper still feels his cousin is alive and develops a reckless plan, changing all the rules. Now the one who set out to rescue his friend needs to be rescued himself. Sometimes rescuing a friend from darkness means going in after them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.