Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Book Review: Trouble in Store by Carol Cox

Trouble in StoreMy Review:
Another amazing story from Carol Cox!

Carol did a great job pulling me right into the story with the first chapter. Melanie is such an easy character to like despite her stubbornness and slight impulsive behavior. Even though I knew misfortune would befall her early on, I still hurt right alongside her. I loved her desire to improve the mercantile; however, I'm not sure her methods were the proper way to get what she wanted. Ha! Ha!

Caleb is a fabulous hero! He's such a great father to his son, Levi, and does the best he can to also run a store single-handedly. I thought the transition from disliking Melanie to falling in love with her was well paced and realistic. I loved how protective he is. He and Melanie make a great couple.

I just studied this time period for my studies and I'm pleased to find little details in the story that I know I would have missed had I not studied this era. I also must admit I'm very impressed with how vivid the Arizona territory appeared in my mind's eye. Very beautiful, very rustic, very western. I truly enjoyed the mystery Carol implemented and I wish the book could have spanned longer. I hated seeing it come to an end!

I received this book from Bethany House in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Back Cover:
Fired from her most recent governess position, Melanie Ross must embrace her last resort: the Arizona mercantile she inherited from her cousin. But Caleb Nelson is positive he inherited the mercantile, and he's not about to let some obstinate woman with newfangled ideas mess up all he's worked for. He's determined to get Melanie married off as soon as possible, and luckily there are plenty of single men in town quite interested in taking her off his hands.
The problem is, Caleb soon realizes he doesn't want her to marry up with any of them. He's drawn to Melanie more every day, and he has to admit some of her ideas for the store unexpectedly offer positive results.

But someone doesn't want the store to succeed, and what used to be just threatening words has escalated into deliberate destruction and lurkers in the night. When a body shows up on the mercantile steps--and the man obviously didn't die from natural causes--things really get dangerous. Can Melanie and Caleb's business--and romance--survive the trouble that's about to come their way?

8 comments:

  1. Ooo, I can't wait to read this book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it, Sarah! :) Especially if you read Love in Disguise!

      Delete
  2. It's high praise indeed when a reader hates to see the story come to an end. What a fun thing for you to read this story coinciding with your study of the time period, Rosie! That sure puts a new spin on the story.

    Glad to read a great, glowing review from you - now I just need to read both this and Carol's book from last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! :D

      Thanks! Both are great reads. Hope you find the time to read them soon! ;)

      Delete
  3. Great review! I'm looking forward to reading this book and I'm happy to find out that it's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abbi! I can't wait to see your thoughts! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Great review, Rosie. I can't wait to read this one too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.