Saturday, September 21, 2013

Rebellious Heart by Jody Hedlund

17384517My Review:
Hedlund's best yet!

Rebellious Heart takes us back to 1760s, pre-revolution, Massachusetts. The colonies were just beginning to turn against the Crown. The timing in which I read this book is ironic. My family and I recently made a trip to Colonial Williamsburg, where we got a good sense of the era and what life was like during that time period. That being said, Hedlund did a great job bringing the era to life and staying true to the facts.

I loved Susanna and Ben. Susanna made such excellent progress from where she started. Even when she made, in my opinion, a stupid decision, I could see where she was coming from and I understood her motives. Hedlund did a fantastic job crafting both Susanna and Ben. They responded to situations not as I wanted them to, but as real people would.

This is definitely my favorite so far from Hedlund, and it will be keeping a permanent place on my shelf. There was a great balance of drama and romance, and I especially loved the author's note at the end, do not skip over it!! Those who love historical novels set in the pre-revolution/revolution era will enjoy this one. I recommend to ages 15 and up for readability and content.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review of my opinions, thanks!

Back Cover:
In 1763 Massachusetts, Susanna Smith has grown up with everything she's ever wanted, except one thing: an education. Because she's a female, higher learning has been closed to her, but her quick mind and quicker tongue never back down from a challenge. She's determined to put her status to good use, reaching out to the poor and deprived. And she knows when she marries well, she will be able to continue her work with the less fortunate. 

Ben Ross grew up a farmer's son and has nothing to his name but his Harvard education. A poor country lawyer, he doesn't see how he'll be able to fulfill his promise to make his father proud of him. When family friends introduce him to the Smith family, he's drawn to quick-witted Susanna but knows her family expects her to marry well. When Susanna's decision to help an innocent woman no matter the cost crosses with Ben's growing disillusionment with their British rulers, the two find themselves bound together in what quickly becomes a very dangerous fight for justice.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this one, Rosie - and how neat that it coincided with your trip! :) If ever I read some of Jody's books, perhaps I'll start with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great one to start with! So much better than her predecessors, though a Noble Groom was a cute tale.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.