Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Invention of Sarah Cummings by Oliva Newport {Revell Blog Tour!}

17384588My Review:
A great conclusion to the trilogy!

I wasn't sure how I felt about Sarah being the main focus of the third book in this series, but I was impressed how Newport "reinvented" her character. This book is worth the read, especially if you thought Sarah acted like a brat in The Dilemma of Charlotte Farrow. I'm sad to read the last of the Banning family; however, I have enjoyed every page with them.

Sarah is not your average character. Especially in the 1890s. She aspires to be more than just a servant, she wants to be included in high society. She, for some reason, believes that living with fortune will bring her happiness. I liked the way Newport used certain things to turn her around and set her on the right path. I did feel like the ending was rushed, I would have been a little more satisfied had it been longer.

If you've kept up with the rest of the series, then I believe you'll enjoy this one. It can be read stand-alone, but I encourage you to pick up the previous books first. The Invention of Sarah Cummings is a great rainy-day afternoon read as you follow her antics balancing a double life. Reminiscent of Downton Abbey, fans of the Gilded Age will like the story.

Available September 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

Back Cover:
In a world where everyone is putting on a show, there is a love that is genuine. Sarah Cummings has one goal in life--to break into Chicago's high society. Desperate to stop serving dinner to members of the wealthy Banning family and to start eating at society tables, Sarah spends her meager free time altering cast-off gowns to create the perfect wardrobe for her future life.

When opportunity knocks at a chance meeting, she presents herself as Serena Cuthbert, weaving a fictitious past to go with her fictitious name. But as she gets closer to her goal--and closer to Simon Tewell, director of St. Andrew's Orphanage--Sarah finds that she must choose between the life she has and the life she dreams of.

Can she piece together the perfect life from scraps? Or will it all come unraveled in the face of true love?

2 comments:

  1. This was definitely the best in this series - I loved Sarah pursuing her love of making over the gowns she was gifted and despite the lack of good character development, I liked Simon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that too! Sarah was very different. Hehe.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.