Thursday, April 12, 2012

Book Review: Sarai by Jill Eileen Smith


 
Synopsis: 
 Sarai, the last child of her aged father, is beautiful, spoiled, and used to getting her own way. Even as a young girl, she is aware of the way men look at her, including her half brother Abram. When Abram finally requests Sarai's hand, she asks one thing--that he promise never to take another wife as long as she lives. Even her father thinks the demand is restrictive and agrees to the union only if Sarai makes a promise in return--to give Abram a son and heir. Certain she can easily do that, Sarai agrees.

But as the years stretch on and Sarai's womb remains empty, she becomes desperate to fulfill her end of the bargain--lest Abram decide that he will not fulfill his. To what lengths will Sarai go in her quest to bear a son? And how long will Abram's patience last?
  
My Review:
Jill Eileen Smith takes us far back into history to the first covenant made between God and man. This book is for the Biblical fiction lovers! Smith does an excellent job weaving in Biblical fact with fiction.

It was a little hard keeping up with the fast forward through time, though I understand they were necessary. I loved how Smith portrayed Abram and Sarai's relationship before and after adding Hagar to the family.

Reading about Sarai's longing for a son made me ache inside. Abram's reassurance and trust in God lessened his pain, although it didn't seem to affect Sarai's confidence.

I particularly liked the different point of views we got to see, Abram, Sarai, Melah, Lot, and Hagar. It is always enjoyable for me to read about Biblical events coming to life. And we got to see quite a few!

It was also fascinating to me to see the differences in Sarai and Melah. Their lives could have very well been similar had the Lord not imprinted himself on Abram’s heart. Melah is a very stubborn woman, whom I really wanted to slap. Lot really needed to put his foot down.

Since we do not know much about Hagar it was intriguing for me to read how she was feeling. She was taken from her home, made a servant for Sarai, and then told to sleep with Abram.  I pitied her very much and despised Sarai for the way she looked down on her. I guess I understand sharing a husband must be difficult but there's no need to bring out the claws, ladies. I wish Sarai could have put trust in the Lord to give her the son she so much desired—instead of leaving it up to her maid. It just proves Sarai is just as human as we are.

My overall complaint with this book is how quickly it ended. I wanted to see more baby Isaac and Sarai.

If you enjoy Biblical fiction, this book is for you!

Interested? You can purchase the book here!

I swapped a book for this one, no review required. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.