Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Book Review: Alone Yet Not Alone by Tracy Leininger Craven

Back Cover (from Amazon): 
A miraculous survival. An extraordinary faith. Autumn 1755. 
Settled in the Blue Mountains of Pennsylvania, deep within America's new frontier, the Leininger family celebrates the blessings of a beautiful homestead and bountiful harvest. Until tragedy strikes with the beginning of the French-Indian War, and the devastating raid known as the Penn's Creek Massacre. The lives of this simple, God-fearing family are forever altered when Barbara and Regina, two young sisters, are carried away by a band of Allegheny warriors. Driven by their faith in God and the powerful bonds of family, Barbara and Regina hold firmly to the belief that they are never alone, even in their darkest hour, and that they will be reunited again.

Alone Yet Not Alone
My Review: 
A heartwarming quick read!

Alone Yet Not Alone is based on a true story involving the author's ancestors. These true events occur during the French-Indian war, a period in history I have not thoroughly explored. So in some ways, it felt like I was getting an enjoyable history lesson while reading.

The story follows Barbara Leininger as she and her little sister are taken into captivity. Time passes pretty frequently and I kept up with it pretty well. For some reason, I thought for sure Barbara would learn to love being with the Indians. However, my guess was far off. The question that begs to be answered throughout the novel is this: will Barbara ever see her family or her sister again?

Because the length of this book is so short, at times I felt the story seemed rushed. But that didn't take away from Barbara's amazing faith and trust in God through her time with the Indians. She was truly inspiring.

The ending was sweet and warmed my heart. I'd recommend this to readers much younger than I. This book would be great as a read aloud to your family. Amazon suggests 8+. I will be interested to see the movie coming out this April.

About Tracy:
Tracy Leininger Craven loves history and the stories of those who have left an indelible impression on our country's heritage. She is also inspired by the testimony of God's faithfulness through seemingly impossible circumstances. Her stories of real people come alive and serve to inspire a new generation of readers.
In her free time, Tracy loves to be outside enjoying God’s creation with her husband David and their three children.


Alone Yet Not Alone will come out in January 2013

I received this book from DJC Communications in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Seems like this was an interesting read! I like that it's set in the state I live in-I always enjoy reading books that take place in PA for that reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very quick. I read it in about a day. :)

      Delete
  2. I am trying to figure out when the movie will officially come out. I have read the book and now want to see the movie. Some sites say it releases in April while others say in the fall? Do you know where I could find more information?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mikaela!

      No I do not. :( Sorry!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.