Thursday, December 6, 2012

Book Review: Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan by Melanie Dobson

My Review:
This is the first "Love Finds You" book I have read as well as the first Melanie Dobson book I've read.

Love Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan
And while this wasn't a favorite, I still enjoyed it. Within the first few pages, I was ready to look up costs to visit Mackinac Island in Michigan. Miss Dobson described it so beautifully, I hope to one day visit. You will too, once you read this book. Haha!

The two stars of this novel are Elena and Chase. I really liked Elena's loyalty to her parents, though she was against their plans for her. I found her to be a sweet endearing character suppressed by her mother's standards. I loved her love for the Lord and longing to be close to Him.

I also held a high respect for Chase. He seemed to be a modern day celebrity on that island! Poor guy. He was continually bombarded by mothers throwing their daughters at him. However, not once did he take advantage of this, instead he rather hated it. He was very sick of women wanting him for money alone, which made Elena all the more attractive to him when they meet she has no idea who he is.

As far as stories go, this one is well done. Miss Dobson had two storylines going on at the same time and yet it wasn't hard to keep track of which was which at all. Overall, this wasn't a hard book to get into nor was it hard to read. I read most of it in an afternoon.

Back Cover (from Goodreads):
 It's the height of the Gilded Age, but Elena Bissette's family has lost most of its fortune. The Bissettes still own a home on fashionable Mackinac Island, and they spend summers there in hopes of introducing Elena to a wealthy suitor. Quickly tiring of the extravagant balls at the Grand Hotel, she spends her days walking along the island's rugged coastline. There she meets Chase, a young fisherman who invites her to watch the ships from an abandoned lighthouse. The two begin to meet there in secret, hoping to solve a decades-old mystery. Meanwhile, Elena's mother contrives introductions between Elena and the island's most eligible bachelor, an elusive millionaire named Chester Darrington. When Elena's two worlds unexpectedly collide, she will be in for the surprise of her life

I swapped a book for this one, no review required.

4 comments:

  1. This wasn't my fave either, Rosie - though so many of the twists seemed more unique to this "type" of plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this one around a lot and it's great to get your opinion! I don't think I've read any of the Love Finds You books yet but I probably will soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :-) I thought it was a pleasant read overall.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.