Thursday, December 27, 2012

Book Review: Christy Miller Vol. 1 by Robin Jones Gunn

My Review:
Christy Miller Volume 1 is a collection of the first three books in the Christy Miller series. I confess, I'm a little late to join the Christy fan club, but better late than never! I haven't reviewed a three-book volume before, so bear with me. (Warning, spoilers!)

What I liked about Summer Promise, the first book: Christy is a great protagonist. She's real with her struggles and teenage dreams. Miss Gunn was able to teach without sounding preachy. I loved Todd and all his whacky analogies to Christian faith. I thought it was kind of funny reading about some of the outdated technology. The thing I liked the most about this book is Christy's promise to her parents to not do anything she might regret later on. It seems to be a theme for the book and I really like that. It saves Christy from some trouble.

Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 1 (Christy Miller, #1-3)What I liked about A Whisper and a Wish: Out of the three, this was not my favorite. Maybe it was the lack of seeing the awesome characters at Newport Beach because the Miller family moved to Escondido. I felt Christy was drowning in some sort of emotional whirlpool and that didn't do much for me. One thing I did like was a verse Miss Gunn presented in Christy's Sunday school class, "Do not be misled: 'Bad company corrupts good character'." (1 Corinthians 15:33) It got me thinking about my life. Miss Gunn went on to make some great points using this verse. It was a highlight for me. :-)

What I liked about Yours Forever: We're back in Newport Beach! I was so happy to read about the crew from Summer Promise again. Man, this one is full of drama. Haha! Sadly for Christy, this quick Christmas break with her Aunt and Uncle doesn't quite go as planned. She is so eager to spend time with Todd and her other friends that she lets her Aunt's plans slip twice. Problems seem to pop up everywhere for Christy with no visible reason as to why. Thankfully, Miss Gunn wraps the last book with a bow.

Here are a few minor things I didn't like overall: Though this book was written a while ago, Christy's innocence made her seem more like a twelve year old than a fourteen or fifteen year old sometimes. I also did not like the so called Christians that Christy befriends in Escondido.

Whew! That was long. To quickly conclude, I will note for you that Miss Gunn's writing is fantastic. It was so easy to read, I loved it. I'll be passing this book to my twelve year old sister. :-)

I received this book from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group in return for an honest review of my opinions, which I have done.

Read Chapter 1 of Summer Promise!
About Robin

6 comments:

  1. I've been curious about these novels for a long while now... I think I have one of the 'college years' books but never read it. Someday, maybe...

    Cute new layout, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, which is why I jumped at the chance to review it. :D

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I have seen these books around but they never really caught my interest. I did love this author's Glenbrooke series though!
    P.S. Love the new look of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first I've read from Robin Gunn, but I'll keep an eye out for the Glenbrooke series! ;)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for your thoughts and the review.

    BTW-I have 6 giveaways going on at my site if you want to pop over. Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    Diane :O)
    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Diane! Happy new year!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.