Thursday, December 13, 2012

Book Review: Chasing Jupiter by Rachel Coker

Back Cover (from Goodreads):
Scarlett Blaine's life in 1960s Georgia isn't always easy, especially given her parents' financial struggles and the fights surrounding her sister Juli's hippie lifestyle. Then there's her brother, Cliff. While Scarlett loves him more than anything, there's no denying his unique behavior leaves Cliff misunderstood and left out. So when he wishes for a rocket to Jupiter, Scarlett agrees to make it happen, no matter how crazy the idea might be. Raising the rocket money means baking pies, and the farmer's son, Frank, agrees to provide the peaches if Scarlett will help him talk to Juli. The problem is, Scarlett really enjoys her time with Frank, and finds herself wondering if, someday, they could be more than friends. Just as she thinks everything might be going her way, Cliff suffers an accident that not only affects the rocket plans, but shakes Scarlett's view of God. As the summer comes to an end, Scarlett must find a way to regain what she's lost, but also fulfill a promise to launch her brother's dream.

My Review:
Rachel Coker returns to the fictional scene equipped with an emotion-packed novel that had me glued to the pages!
Chasing Jupiter
Chasing Jupiter is her second novel, and I found it to be just as great, if not better than her debut novel, Interrupted: A Life Beyond Words. This time, our setting is in Georgia, 1969 and the central members of our new cast are, Scarlett Blaine, Cliff Blaine, and Frank Leggett.

Scarlett is special, in my opinion. She is able to communicate with Cliff and understand his quirks unlike their parents and the people in their area. She doesn't know why he's the way he is, but she still loves him. She holds so much of the house chores on her shoulders, in this way I can relate to her a bit. I've had a lot of house responsibility on my shoulders before, though not as long as she's had it. At one point, someone asks her why she does so much and she responds with, "Someone has to."

I liked the theme of peaches (peach pie, more peach pie, peach trees, ;D). I don't know why, but I did. I also thoroughly enjoyed the banter between Scarlett and Cliff and occasionally Scarlett and Frank. Rachel does a great job of tossing in enough romance to satisfy her readers, yet keep it to a minimum (no kissing, no dates). That's something I appreciate.

Chasing Jupiter took me off guard more than once with a few twists I hadn't anticipated. I love it when I can't see surprises coming! If you liked her previous work, then you'll surely love this one too.

About Rachel:
Rachel Coker resides near Williamsburg, Virginia, with her parents, who've homeschooled her since she was a child, and two sisters. She is the author of 2012's Interrupted: A Life Beyond Words. Coker has a passion for great books and has been surrounded by them all her life. Her gift for writing became apparent at the age of eleven, at which time her parents, who owned a Christian bookstore, signed her up for a year of lessons with a professional writing coach. www.rachelcoker.wordpress.com

I received this book from DJC Communications in return for an honest review of my opinions. Thank you!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think you might like it. Have you read Interrupted?

      Delete
    2. No, I haven't...

      Actually, nothing by this author has come across my notice but that may have to change! :)

      Delete
    3. Really? Wow! She's an excellent author for her age. ;D

      Delete
  2. Great review! I'm really looking forward to reading this one and if you thought it was better than Interrupted then I'm sure I'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! I wasn't sure what I expected, but I enjoyed it. :-)

      Delete
  3. Your review made it onto Rachel's video of her three favorite reviews! SO cool! http://rachelcoker.wordpress.com/2013/02/23/video-blog-reading-reviews-in-british-accents/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygosh, thanks for telling me!!! This totally made my night. :D

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.