Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Book Review: Words Spoken True by Ann H. Gabhart

My Review: 
Words Spoken True is an intriguing book. I don't recommend it to young teen readers.

Words Spoken TrueSet in one of my favorite time periods, this novel takes me to a part of the 1800s I haven't yet explored: the newspaper. You see, back in the day of 1855 before radios and TVs they had the newspaper. The two fictional presses we focus on in Words Spoken True are the Tribune and the Herald. These presses battle it out using their newspaper only, in hopes to achieve the town of Louisville's loyalty and readership.

First, we meet Adriane Darcy. She's a woman who's had little training to be a proper lady, in upper society's eyes. She isn't afraid to speak her mind and loves her job at her father's paper the Tribune. Her faith in God is what has kept her going after dealing with an evil stepmother who used to lock her in a closet as a child. She struggles with darkness and tries clinging to God's light.

Next we meet Blake Garrett, a stubborn gentleman who is the editor of the Herald. He tries to forget the skeletons in his closet and wants the Herald to become the top paper in Louisville. But when he meets Adriane and her fiancee Stanley he becomes determined to save Adriane from her annoying (jerk!) of a fiancee.

I liked Miss Gabhart's writing style a lot! I also really liked Duff, who became my favorite side character. However, I did feel like the romance was a little rushed near the end and I felt awkward reading the bedroom scene. (Nothing is explicit or overtly bad. Just know it's there.) But that may just be a personal quirk. Miss Gabhart gives you a real feel for the time period and brings to life an actual occurrence in history. I'll end my review here, because there's a lot I could spoil if I go on. Hehehe. :-)

I give this novel 3 stars.

Back Cover (from Goodreads):
Adriane Darcy was practically raised in her father's newspaper offices. She can't imagine life without the clatter of the press and the push to be first to write the news that matters. Their Tribune is the leading paper in Louisville in 1855. Then Blake Garrett, a brash young editor from the North with a controversial new style of reporting, takes over failing competitor the Herald, and the battle for readers gets fierce.

When Adriane and Blake meet at a benefit tea, their surprising mutual attraction is hard to ignore. Still, Blake is the enemy, and Adriane is engaged to the son of a powerful businessman who holds the keys to the Tribune's future. Blake will stop at almost nothing to get the story—and the girl. Can he do both before it's too late?

Set against the volatile backdrop of political and civil unrest in 1850s Louisville, this exciting story of love and loyalty will hold readers in its grip until the very last page. Bestselling author Ann H. Gabhart once again delivers an enthralling and enduring tale for her loyal and ever-expanding fan base.


I purchased this book, no review required.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I have this on my kindle app so it's good to know what it's like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh, I know what you mean. :D

      Delete
  2. Still haven't read this one though I've read good things about it. Glad to know you liked it alright too, Rosie. :)

    Thanks for the informative review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good. It just had a few shortcomings. ;D You're welcome! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. I will respect them and hope that you will respect mine.